Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #1 
brittney0430

Exclamation Help: Tank!

Hi,

I have a 1 gallon tank with 4 itty bitty little plastic plants and some brightly colored rainbow gravel. The ONLY fishhyyy I have in this tank is one Cambodian Veiltail Betta Female named Jo. However, on the disease forums people told me I need a bigger tank for my one fish. Is this true? And how many times a week should I clean this and how much % water change.
brittney0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Bettas need a minimum of 2 gallons really, although 2.5+ gallons is better.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #3 
brittney0430

Well, she never swims around that much. People told me I could use Kritter Keepers for a big, cheap tank but that seems unequalable. Do you know where I can find a cheap, big 2 to 2.5 gallon tank or should I buy a Kritter Keeper? :) I didnt get my 1 gallon tank too long ago and I think it would be a bother to not use it when I paid like 15.00 dollars for it because it included a air pump and a light.
brittney0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #4 
denaliwind

For a 1g at the very least 100% every 5 days, with a 50% in between (some will probably recommend more), if you're using flake food definitely increase the changes, flake food can really pollute the water. Everyday check for poop and uneaten food and suck it up (you could do this with a turkey baster). Monitor the water, with a testing kit and thermometer (getting a heater is very important), the smaller the tank the harder it is to stabilize. It seems the recommended size by most members here is 2.5g. I've heard, although I don't have personal experience, that females are more active then males and need even more space then the average male. Of course, there's always the individual betta factor and both males and females vary in activity.

Enjoy your little girl! :D
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #5 
fleetfish

You'd be surprised at how quickly a betta will get used to a larger space and become active, swim around, play, follow you wherever you are. Welcome to the wonderful, colourful world of bettas :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In a 1gal unfiltered tank I recommend twice weekly water changes...1-50% water only and 1-100% to maintain water quality.....

Lots of different opinions on both tank size needs and water change needs for this species of fish.....

I base my recommendation on an experiment I conducted (not scientific) and found water change needs to be the same on unfiltered tanks without live plants- size from 1gal-3gal based on ammonia development/per API test-that weekly 50% and 100% water changes will maintain water quality and fin health for a single beta that is not overfed and uneaten food removed within 30min of feeding....

Keeping and caring for this species shouldn't have to break the bank.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In a 1gal unfiltered tank I recommend twice weekly water changes...1-50% water only and 1-100% to maintain water quality.....

Lots of different opinions on both tank size needs and water change needs for this species of fish.....

I base my recommendation on an experiment I conducted (not scientific) and found water change needs to be the same on unfiltered tanks without live plants- size from 1gal-3gal based on ammonia development/per API test-that weekly 50% and 100% water changes will maintain water quality and fin health for a single beta that is not overfed and uneaten food removed within 30min of feeding....

Keeping and caring for this species shouldn't have to break the bank.....

I have a question, OFL, if you don't mind.

I have a male in a 1 1/2 gal. glass biscuit jar with a heater (temp. is 79) and no filter because the boy just HATES filters. There are some live plants in there - java moss, java fern, an algae ball and some pothos cuttings that haven't developed roots yet. Bare bottom. OK - I do 75% water changes twice a week and a 100% water change once a week. OK or overkill?

Since I have put him in there a couple weeks ago he is building bubble nests for the first time & seems to enjoy it. I guess what I am REALLY asking is - can you clean TOO much????
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E...yes....you can clean too much....you have to find that balance and with the plants....I would cut back to 50% twice a week and see how he tolerates that- even in unfiltered tank with slow growing plants....once the pothos start to send out roots they will start to help with water quality too.....
Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #9 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
IMO/E...yes....you can clean too much....you have to find that balance and with the plants....I would cut back to 50% twice a week and see how he tolerates that- even in unfiltered tank with slow growing plants....once the pothos start to send out roots they will start to help with water quality too.....
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I'll try that & see how it goes. Noticed this morning when I cleaned his tank/bowl that one of the pothos cuttings has a root growing - YEAH!!!

Can I pick your brain about one more thing? I have a friend that purchased a betta & had him in a 1 gal. bowl without a heater, filter or any live plants. She was using distilled water for him and doing 100% water changes every single day. She was going to go shopping for a bigger set-up and a heater on Saturday, but, sadly, she found he had passed on Sat. morning after having him less than a week. She was also planning on purchasing dechlorinator and switching him to tap water. Do you think she changed his water TOO much & stressed him?

Oh, she was feeding him Wardley Betta food.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Distilled water can be really hard on fish....unless you aerate it and replace the minerals......too pure to support life for very long.....