Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #1 
amp7594

can i put them together now?

i followed the other steps and the female can see the male and she is flaring back at him can i put them together now?
amp7594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #2 
Panthera

It depends, have you conditioned the pair for 1-2 weeks on live or frozen food and is she showing breeding bars while he may have built a bubblenest? If so, and if the two are in good condition, then I would release her. Although flaring back isn't the only sign you need to know to release her.

Do you also have the proper means to care for the fry? Food, space and jars for the fry in the future? As well as a growout tank? If so, then good luck!
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #3 
amp7594

yea i did all the other stuff
Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #4 
Panthera

Okay well as long as your ready and so are they, then I'd release her. What size tank are you spawning in? Do you have it lowered to 3-5"? Whats the temp?

Once you release her, make sure you just have a dim light on, and I'd leave it on for 3 days after the first night of releasing her. Check on them every 2 hours to make sure they haven't killed each other, and if they haven't spawned in 3 days, then try again in a week or two.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Yeah... I don't go by all those rules.

If the female is barred up and not stressed and you have plenty of hiding spots I'd release her. I don't wait a certain length of time.

As long as the pair is not tearing each other to bits leave them be. Sometimes it can take up to a week or longer for a pair to spawn. The only reason to end the spawn is if the pair is too aggressive or if they have already finished spawning IMO.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #6 
amp7594

this is my set up..they are in a 10g(female is in a betta security house with the dividers taken out and the male roams in the 10g) plenty of hiding spots, heater, airstone and adjustable light. I have a 30g growout for the females and i have plenty of jars for the males, but no food. what is the best food for them (fry) , how much is it, and where do i find it?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is a sticky about feeding fry and fry foods. Most people order their cultures online.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...feeding-51144/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp7594 View Post
this is my set up..they are in a 10g(female is in a betta security house with the dividers taken out and the male roams in the 10g) plenty of hiding spots, heater, airstone and adjustable light. I have a 30g growout for the females and i have plenty of jars for the males, but no food. what is the best food for them (fry) , how much is it, and where do i find it?
Not to be debbie downer but you really know the best foods and of gotten them before you started to spawn them.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think the fish are actually together at this point.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #10 
turtle10

Ahh, I see. No need to worry then :)

Yeah like Dramaqueen said check out the fry foods thread. It has got lots of good info.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote