Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #1 
laughing

Can you determine color gentics for breeding?

Im purchasing two males soon and they have remarkable coloring. Just a wondering, are betta breeders able to determine the genetics a betta has to find a female to breed him with thus resulting in a specific color of fry? I know you can with dogs and horses so it just struck up my curiosity.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Bettas have pheno and geno...pheno is what they show and geno what they carry. If the fish carries the same pheno gene as the geno then yes it's predictable but if the fish is, let's say, phenotypically black but is genotypically marble then no you can't base it on color. That's why it's important to ask the breeder you are purchasing from about the genes the fish carries.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #3 
Dragonlady

I agree with Mr V that the best way to know for sure what the fish are carrying is to ask the breeder you are purchasing from. Ask the breeder how many generations back they know the genetic history of the fish. Many times, they will know the genetic history several generations back. If you don't purchase a sibling female, you could get some surprises! For example, if you breed a melano male to a plain jane steel blue female not carrying melano, you will get mostly multicolor in a spawn. If the steel blue female carries melano, you will get some melanos in the spawn. In general when spawning bettas, the female is almost more important than the male, really.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #4 
laughing

That's cool to know! The one male im buying is a light yellow and powder blue but his brother I believe is all powder blue and another an insane red. His generation often has the powder blues turn into these brilliant red and blue butterflies so there's a possibility he could turn that, turn blue and yellow butterfly, or stay his pastel powder colors. Any way, he will be gorgeous!

I have no real interest in breeding, maybe one day, I was just wondering. Thank you guys!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #5 
carzz

Interesting.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote