Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #1 
akjadestar

10 gallon got bug infested...

I kinda took a long leave from this site... Anyways, most of you know that I was setting up a 10 gallon planted for Churro... but that's been going real bad because I've been so broke and I could only afford two plants, and I wanted at least 5 before I started cycling. and the two plants I had died because my light broke and I didn't have enough money to replace THAT either. I kinda left my dead wisteria for a while because there were still some green parts of it and my mom said once I got my light I could probably bring it back to life. But everytime I almost had enough money for the light hood, something came up and I had to spend all my money. So my wisteria is now dark brown and translucent, my snail I had in there, pretty sure he died somewhere cause I haven't seen him in a month, and there's algae growing on the sides, and today, I was finally gonna take out the plant but I noticed little black bugs(they pretty much just look like dots) floating around, and I got freaked out... I don't know what to do... My heaters on and is working but I haven't ran my filter cause it's SO loud and keeps me up... Right now my tank is such a mess and I don't know where to dump out the water and if I should throw out my 30 dollars worth of gravel cause it might be infected still... can someone help me sort out this big mess?

Last edited by akjadestar; 03-14-2011 at 07:15 PM.
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Those black dots aren't bad. My 10 gallon has some and my betta eats them.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #3 
akjadestar

But don't they eat up plants? Anyways, is it safe for me to dump out all the water with them into my bathtub? because I need to scrub the algae off and start everything over...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Bummer....no fish in the tank I assume-unplug the heater and let it cool first and then.....I would do a deep, deep vacuum and drain the tank in the yard, flower bed, under a tree or something...even house plants would love this water...re-cycle.....let it sit dry for a few days...fill half and use an algae scraper and get it cleaned up and drain again, repeat until the water is pretty clear...then fill with dechlorinated water, get the filter cleaned up and running, get the light working, add the heater and thermometer- cycle and add fish/livestock......

If you see any life left in the plant put it in a container of dechlorinated water and place it in a sunny window...it might come back......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #5 
akjadestar

Yikes.... I'm really scared to vacuum it... last time I accidentally swallowed the water and that'd be awful if i accidentally swallowed the bugs... I can't really water plants outside because there's still lots of snow, and in the house, couldn't they get out of the plant pot and like, into our house?

re-cycle.....let it sit dry for a few days...fill half and use an algae scraper and get it cleaned up and drain again, repeat until the water is pretty clear...

could you clarify a little bit?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #6 
nmaybyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjadestar View Post
I kinda took a long leave from this site... Anyways, most of you know that I was setting up a 10 gallon planted for Churro... but that's been going real bad because I've been so broke and I could only afford two plants, and I wanted at least 5 before I started cycling. and the two plants I had died because my light broke and I didn't have enough money to replace THAT either. I kinda left my dead wisteria for a while because there were still some green parts of it and my mom said once I got my light I could probably bring it back to life. But everytime I almost had enough money for the light hood, something came up and I had to spend all my money. So my wisteria is now dark brown and translucent, my snail I had in there, pretty sure he died somewhere cause I haven't seen him in a month, and there's algae growing on the sides, and today, I was finally gonna take out the plant but I noticed little black bugs(they pretty much just look like dots) floating around, and I got freaked out... I don't know what to do... My heaters on and is working but I haven't ran my filter cause it's SO loud and keeps me up... Right now my tank is such a mess and I don't know where to dump out the water and if I should throw out my 30 dollars worth of gravel cause it might be infected still... can someone help me sort out this big mess?
HI there! I'm new to the forums actually and if I may, I'd like to offer some advice. So, firstly let me recap what I got from your story: you needed a new light in the hood, but because you didn't have sufficient light, your wisteria died. Your snail is missing and the
plants are dying/dead now. You also see little bugs. Correct?

Here's what I did for T.O.D (my tank of death). I took everything out and washed them off with a very small amount of chlorine and a very large amount of water. Then I took a capful of chlorox and added to the water in the tank.

Now, if anyone wants to correct me (but not flame me) go ahead. I've not been into this too long so feel free to do so. If I was you this is what I'd do. I'd take out all of the fixtures / decorations / alive plants. Considering you're on a tight budget, I'd borrow some chlorox from mom and add to the tank. Then I'd clean the walls off. The Chlorox is going to kill pretty much everythign in that tank. Good bacteria, bad bacteria---everything. So, that'll allow you to keep your gravel and it'll also get the tank pretty much in a beginning phase. The only problem with is that you'll have to do a 100% water change and you'll need to run water through the gravel. When I did mine I pretty much stood in the bathtub for about 20 minutes running water over all the tank and I kept running my hands through the gravel to circulate the water in there.

Like I said, this worked for me....and please if someone feels I'm leading you down the wrong path....say something. I don't offend easy. :D I hope this helps you.
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #7 
akjadestar

That sounds pretty complicated, I mean, I'll do it if it's the only way but is it possible to just dump out all the water in the bathtub, and leave my gravel and everything in really hot water for a long time to kill the bacteria?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #8 
nmaybyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjadestar View Post
That sounds pretty complicated, I mean, I'll do it if it's the only way but is it possible to just dump out all the water in the bathtub, and leave my gravel and everything in really hot water for a long time to kill the bacteria?
Define really hot.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #9 
akjadestar

I dunno, boiling I guess? and I can constantly keep on dumping more and more boiling water on top for however long I need to.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #10 
nmaybyte

Idk if boiling would be a good idea or not. Hot water acts as a catalyst for chemical reactions so it might be that be a bad idea.