What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Not sure, but I have a heater
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? One pellet, once a day. Sometimes two if I dont see him eat it immediately.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Roughly once a month, just did one today after he began acting strange last night
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White underbelly, fins paler slightly frayed, seems to be breathing harder
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Staying at the bottom of the tank, barely moving (started swimming upside down in the past few hours with head dug into gravel but breathing), spat food out today, no longer flaring to mirror stimuli
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Changed 80% of the water today. Replaced gravel to new gravel.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3-4 months

I was looking up possible medications and aquarium salts. Are those worth it? It doesn't look like he will be alive by the time I get them. My friend has kosher salt, would that work if I put some into the tank? I heard some bad things about that though.
ashwashx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

OH MY GOD CHANGE THAT WATER, CHANGE IT RIGHT NOW.
Thats like living in your toilet for a month, that's awful.

Your bowl needs to have the water changed at least half every other day.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Your fish will do so much better once you change the water more than once a month.

Change the water regularly and FEED the poor thing. One pellet is too little- opt for 3-4 each day, two in the morning and two at night or evenly spaced out.

Your concern atm is not what medicines to buy.

If you wish- AQ is great to have, 1tsp/gallon. The water needs to be fully changed to add another dose.

Not to be rude, but he probably wont live, no.

DO NOT PUT REGULAR SALT IN.

AQ salt is not the same and kosher salt will disintegrate his fins in high doeses.

Make him comfortable, change that water, and hope he lives :(
Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #4 
ashwashx

When I bought my fish the people at the petstore told me to feed specifically one pellet of this brand of food a day and I have been doing so for the past 4 months and he has been fine up until now. I changed the water today after I noticed he was behaving strangely and no improvements. Thanks for the info about the salt, I thought kosher salt wouldnt work too but I read somewhere else it was fine.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #5 
ashwashx

Also are you sure i should be changing the water every other day? Because I do have a filter in the tank...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #6 
ashwashx

Also the last time I changed the water before today had only been 1-2 weeks not a month.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

You certainly shouldnt be doing it once a month.

Changing 50% every other day, yeah. Maybe* every two days at 50%.

The filter, in that sized tank, allows you only to not have to do full, 100% changes.

I still recommend more food. And people at petstores usually dont know squat, trust me. Do not put that salt in. I assure you, if he can be saved, he will be saved by changing the water more often. Not salt.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #8 
turtle10

Never listen to pet store people. LIke PewPewPew said, they don't know anything. Always do your research first, then buy. That poor little guy must be so hungry! I suggest next time you are at the pet store, buy him a different brand of food. Hikari recently changed the main ingredients and it is not very good for them anymore. Look for a food with the first 2 ingredients being seafood.

Also, you NEED a thermometer. It is not safe to be heating something so tiny and not know the temperature.

BTW, I would definitely listen to the members of this site. They know more about bettas than like 99% of pet store employees.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #9 
ashwashx

I hate to sound morbid, but at this point, he is upside down and it looks like hes breathing really hard since I can see his gills flapping wider than usual. Is there even hope of him recovering from this? It happened so suddenly too which I dont understand.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #10 
ashwashx

Darn it petstore people. ):