Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #11 
ashwashx

I was also just following my friends betta which he only fed once a day and its tank didnt have a filter and he only changed the water once a month and it managed to live for three years.
ashwashx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #12 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwashx View Post
I was also just following my friends betta which he only fed once a day and its tank didnt have a filter and he only changed the water once a month and it managed to live for three years.
There is a difference in surviving and thriving. He was still probably hungry and suffering from ammonia burns.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

Doesnt mean he lived well... :(

Idk. If you have clove oil, you can euthanize him.

DO NOT FREEZE HIM!! Its so painful, they feel it til they die a painful death.

You can also bludgeon him (fast...) if you wish to end his suffering.

I know its an awful thing to consider, but sometimes our fish friends are too far gone to help. Its your call. If you need help with what to do in that regard, there are many members who will point you in the right direction.

Im sorry he isnt well. If he does pass, maybe hang around the site and learn a bit more and get another betta a while later. That way, you can give another creature a good life in honor of the other.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #14 
ashwashx

Barney (the betta) suddenly started darting around which could be SOME improvement but hes still stopping and not moving much for long periods of time though. What do you guys think is the cause of all this? A bacterial infection from not cleaning the tank enough?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #15 
turtle10

He is probably just suffering from ammonia exposure and hunger. Bacteria would probably show more physical symptoms.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

Possibly... There could be so many things, there really could.

Its most likley ammonia issues.

Darting isnt always good, though. Not when he hasnt been moving.

Did you change the water? Seriously, I really recommend it, and now! He'd feel so much better.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #17 
ashwashx

Yeah I changed the water today, it was a 100% change. Yeah now he keeps trying to swim up and falls back down. Im lowering the water level now because it seems like hes having a hard time getting to the top. I thought it was swim bladder before because of these symptoms...
Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #18 
ashwashx

is it a smart move to take out all plants and decorations in the tank so its purely water? I turned off the filter too because he drifted towards it in a really scary way ):
Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #19 
turtle10

I would take the heater out then. The heater could essentially cook him in that little of water. Just keep doing daily 100% water changes, making sure to acclimate him to the temp each time.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #20 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwashx View Post
is it a smart move to take out all plants and decorations in the tank so its purely water? I turned off the filter too because he drifted towards it in a really scary way ):
I would say yes, he has such little room as it is. Also take the heater out. The filter should never be strong enough to suck him in, that will stress him out and will hurt him too.