Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #11 
Luimeril

i feel bad when i fast my boy for longer than a day, but i know he'll be fine. if i'm not mistaking, while it's not good for them, bettas can last up to a week without food. so, two or three days isn't that much of a bad thing for them, and it helps them clear their system of anything that may cause the bloating and floating. also, bettas don't digest as well in colder water, so if you get him a heater, it'll help out alot, too. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:24 AM   #12 
k2ofcu

Just wanted to chip in that:
1) The Epsom salt regiment recommended by Old Fish Lady (ask her for particulars) is amazing!- my guy is getting ready to go back into his tank fitter & feistier than ever (and he was floating sideways neath his filter when we started : /)

2) It's surprising how just one or two degrees can really perk them up.
Thought all was well in my tank (but my guy was a bit too quiet-not interested in food, stuck on his little hammock, etc.).
I also noticed that our lady beagle (normally reclines shamelessly like the Maja painted by Goya) was curled up to a size slightly larger than a jelly bean.
This caused an investigation....

Sure enough, I discovered that my sister lowered the house thermostat 5 degrees earlier in the week (& the tank heater was set on the low end (78*)) ).
I bumped the tank heater (to 80*) & bumped up the house t'stat a few degrees, too.
Both fish and beagle were much happier campers within a day!
k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #13 
ThirdPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ofcu View Post
Just wanted to chip in that:
1) The Epsom salt regiment recommended by Old Fish Lady (ask her for particulars) is amazing!- my guy is getting ready to go back into his tank fitter & feistier than ever (and he was floating sideways neath his filter when we started : /)

2) It's surprising how just one or two degrees can really perk them up.
Thought all was well in my tank (but my guy was a bit too quiet-not interested in food, stuck on his little hammock, etc.).
I also noticed that our lady beagle (normally reclines shamelessly like the Maja painted by Goya) was curled up to a size slightly larger than a jelly bean.
This caused an investigation....

Sure enough, I discovered that my sister lowered the house thermostat 5 degrees earlier in the week (& the tank heater was set on the low end (78*)) ).
I bumped the tank heater (to 80*) & bumped up the house t'stat a few degrees, too.
Both fish and beagle were much happier campers within a day!
Thanks for the info! Will do! Though I'm still afraid of using any types of salts, as last time I used salt for my dying fish, it's what sent her over the edge and did her in u.u But I've got his heater in now, and will see if that clears him up this week. Thanks for everyones help!
ThirdPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #14 
ThirdPotato

Update

Giles is still floaty after a day and a half of fasting, and having the temperature raised to the 80s. Any other advice? Could it be due to old food? His food shouldn't be that old. I bought it a couple months ago but I don't know how quickly these things go bad. Do you think it could be water conditions, if so what? I was told that Deer Park water may be lacking certain minerals found in tap, but again, I can't use my tap water here since it's contaminated. Any suggestions? I'm afraid of using any kinds of aquarium salts after I lost my other fish after adding it >,< Any help would be great. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #15 
turtle10

How do you know the aquarium salt killed him? Maybe it was too much?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #16 
Luimeril

have you seen him poop? sometimes, it takes Cup a day or two to become skinny and normal-swimming, when he floats. i use Aquarium Salt on all my fish, and never have i seen anything bad come of it. i've not used Epsom salt, though. but, OFL swears by it, and she's been betta keeping a long time, so i'm sure it's safe if you follow her directions to the T. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #17 
turtle10

Aquarium salt is the best. It healed up Bellino's dorsal fin in like three days.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:30 AM   #18 
ThirdPotato

Any suggestions for how much salt to use for a 1.5 gallon tank? To be fair, my other betta was sick since I got her, but I think the salt just put her over the edge. It was probably just too much of a difference in the water and she couldn't take the change. But ever since then I'm just afraid of doing it wrong. I forget what the brand was, but it was in a carton-looking thing, and came in little rocks.

Any suggestions how to go about doing it, how much, for how long, and what type?

Again, thanks for all the help!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #19 
turtle10

One teaspoon per gallon. So for your setup, one and a half teaspoons. If he is looking really bad after a day or two I would increase to two teaspoons.

Treatment:
mix dose of salt in jug of dechlorinated water to let it dissolve. Add to tank. Do water change next day with proper amount of salt to the water. You must do a water change before you add extra salt. Do this every day for 10 days or so. Just as an extra aid you can add indian almond leaves to the jug or a bag of decaffeinated and organic green tea and let it soak for a few hours first. The tannins are great for bettas.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:54 AM   #20 
ThirdPotato

THank you so very much for your help! I'm so afraid of changing his water conditions, but if it'll help, I'll give it a shot. My fish has just been very sensative to a lot of things, so I hope nothing goes wrong. Would I still add the water conditioner to his usual spring water when I add the salt to dissolve it?

Tags
floating, floating at the top, floating but not dead