Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #1 
ParisRose

Dividing woes

Alright, so I put up the divider. It was kind of flimsy and they tried to get through at the edges. This induced a lot of screaming from me. So I did my best and blocked them from getting through. I stayed up and they flared wildly. The crowntail on the right was in terrible condition when I woke up. The poor boy had stress stripes and lost all his color. How can I make it easier on them? Also how do I clean this?
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #2 
Welsh

What is the divider made from? if its the sewing mesh then you could attach some java moss to it;completely covering it, that way they won't be able to see each other :) or you could just put a few plants alongside it :) There's actually a few plants that exo terra make, they are meant for reptiles but I have used them in my tanks and I know many other people do too, I actually gave the idea to one of my LFS's and they use them as well lol. they have a lot of leaves and also a suction cup which you stick to the glass. If you attach it to the back wall, close to the divider it will most likely cover it as they are pretty big :) http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1...5fedb33c286e51 this is what I use, I think I heard someone say their in petco or petsmart not sure though :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #3 
ParisRose

It's one I bought from petsmart. It's the mesh stuff.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #4 
Welsh

Java moss would be fine on that, I've actually seen it done before and it looks quite cool :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Just one of the reasons I don't use divided tanks anymore. Hope you can get the kids straightened out!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #6 
iheartmybettas

I have a divided 10 with the petsmart divider. In terms of cleaning, I switch back and forth. So yesterday I cleaned gravel a little from Jack Black's side while I did a 50% water change and next time I will do it from Hornets side and I just go back and forth. I also have a snail on each side to help clean any algae (we have had a little bit of an algae problem in there). Each side also has their own undergravel filter.

They flared at first at each other but are totally over it. You could line the divider with plants or like someone said java moss. I haven't had any issues with it.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #7 
ParisRose

Do I understand correctly? The little fish is just going to have to get over it and put his ego aside and go hide when he feels threatened? He's freakin out right now.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #8 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisRose View Post
Do I understand correctly? The little fish is just going to have to get over it and put his ego aside and go hide when he feels threatened? He's freakin out right now.

Actually that isn't what I meant at all. I said MINE flared a little but got over it and live perfectly happy in their divided tank but YOU could line the divider with plants so they can't see each other as well. If it is as bad as you say then put something dark in between like a black divider so they can't see each other or put them in their own tanks. I was only describing what my experience had been which I am not sure how that warrants getting an attitude (at least that is how it is coming across and is definitely not appreciated).
Old 03-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #9 
ParisRose

No I didn't mean to give attitude. I apologize if it came across that way.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #10 
iheartmybettas

It's no problem. Sometimes things just don't translate well when you can't see the emotion behind the words. But thank you for apologizing. It got me a little fired up.

Seriously though you need to either create a silk plant forest or live plant to break the line of sight or search for the DIY dividers that use presentation covers and aren't see through. I think there is a sticky on how to make them. Or get them their own tank. I think I just have pretty chill bettas. None of mine have every had any issues with being able to see each other after the initial freakout when they realized there is another betta on the other side.