Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #1 
BettasForever

So super duper exited! Now... how do I handle this?

My dad dropped it on me that once we get our new house, we would take advantage of a great offer at the Petsmart near us. A 20 gallon that comes with filter (a big huge one that hangs off the back) a hood with light, and the tank, of course. for $37.95. (no, we didn't read it wrong, we asked 5 people that work there.) OMG! :DDDDD (little girl scream)

So.... I have never had a big aquarium before, and have no clue what to get/do with it once I get it... I DO know that I am saving up for this beautiful HM I saw at Petsmart.... Don't worry, pretty boy, Momma's coming! :D

Off topic, there. Now, I need to know a couple of things, since this will be my aquarium and not my dad's (although he loves Comet, the tailbiting boy. <3) and I will be totally responsible for all of it. so, a couple questions....

(if you want to answer please write the number so I know what you're talking about. :3 also please direct me towards any resources that I need to know about.)

1. What is cycling, and how can I do it? (I think theres a thread for it)
2. Is there any must-have supplies I need?
3. Tank mates?
4. Where to buy a 'divider'?
5. Best gravel? (sand, gravel, glass marbles, etc.)
6. Anything else I need to know. (you can include you experiences/tips here also!)

Thanks a bunch, guys.

-BettasForever
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettasForever View Post
My dad dropped it on me that once we get our new house, we would take advantage of a great offer at the Petsmart near us. A 20 gallon that comes with filter (a big huge one that hangs off the back) a hood with light, and the tank, of course. for $37.95. (no, we didn't read it wrong, we asked 5 people that work there.) OMG! :DDDDD (little girl scream)

So.... I have never had a big aquarium before, and have no clue what to get/do with it once I get it... I DO know that I am saving up for this beautiful HM I saw at Petsmart.... Don't worry, pretty boy, Momma's coming! :D

Off topic, there. Now, I need to know a couple of things, since this will be my aquarium and not my dad's (although he loves Comet, the tailbiting boy. <3) and I will be totally responsible for all of it. so, a couple questions....

(if you want to answer please write the number so I know what you're talking about. :3 also please direct me towards any resources that I need to know about.)

1. What is cycling, and how can I do it? (I think theres a thread for it)
2. Is there any must-have supplies I need?
3. Tank mates?
4. Where to buy a 'divider'?
5. Best gravel? (sand, gravel, glass marbles, etc.)
6. Anything else I need to know. (you can include you experiences/tips here also!)

Thanks a bunch, guys.

-BettasForever
1-Cycling is a process where bacteria grows in your filter. The bacteria eat ammonia and nitrites so when the water flows through the filter, those chemicals are removed. First the steady presence of ammonia makes a bacteria grow that eats the ammonia. This bacteria produces nitrites. The steady presence of nitrites causes a second bacteria to grow. This bacteria produces nitrates (like nitrites, but with an "a" lol). There is no bacteria that eats nitrates, so we do weekly water changes to remove those. For a cycled 20 gallon I would suggest 30-50% water change weekly.

2- gravel vacuum/siphon, several quarantine containers, test kit, PRIME (lol), uhh that is all I can think of now

3- Totally possible. Just depends on how the betta handles it

4- You can buy dividers at petco or online, or you can make your own.

5- my favorite substrate is sand, however it can be an issue when cleaning. I suggest a fine gravel that won't let too much debris fall between the cracks.

I have a 20 gallon community, and a 20 gallon sorority/community. So ask me anything you want if you have more questions.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #3 
Bettaluver4evr

Wow, what a deal! I wants that tank! :D Yup, turtle pretty much answered it all. :D I sure hope you get that HM! :D
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Your so lucky! Turtle pretty much answered it all. :P I dont know how sand can be an issue with cleaning, you just hover the siphon over it, instead of digging right into it like you do with gravel. But I havent had sand before, this is just what I've researched :D Once you get your house and get the tank, dont forget to take pics! :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #5 
BettasForever

Oh, totally! This might be about a month, so sit tight guys! Thanks for answering.
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #6 
tokala

How exciting for you! Can't wait to hear what you decide to put in it!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

Maybe you should go ahead & get it now & set it up once you have moved. How long is the price good for?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Ahhh, good point mentioning how long the price is good for. Hopefully it wont run out by the time you move!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #9 
roxy15

That sounds like a great buy, but as the others have said, i would ask about the price and if it is going off sale soon i would purchase it now.
roxy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #10 
Pekemom

How much fun!! Good luck with your 20 gallon.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote