Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

How tall is the plant...to me the color is wrong for mondo grass and the blade too wide as well....I thinking more vallisneria spiralis is a thin leaf species and can get 2ft tall....ask Byron he would know for sure.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #12 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How tall is the plant...to me the color is wrong for mondo grass and the blade too wide as well....I thinking more vallisneria spiralis is a thin leaf species and can get 2ft tall....ask Byron he would know for sure.....
My tank is a 10 gallon, and the plant goes to the top of the water and curls/sits over the top of the water quite a bit, so it is longer than 12".
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #13 
Lion Mom

I have Val in my 38 gal. community tank & it looks just like that - pointy leaves & all! :)

BTW, if you want, you can cut the leaves back at a 45 degree angle.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #14 
Littlebittyfish

Hey you all. I had to go to petsmart today to pick up a new 2.5 gallon tank for my moms new fish as well as some medication. ( the poor lil guy I believe was used in a fight before she got him)
I saw this plant in their tank and they had it labeled as acorus. I believe the plant I have may be an acorus.They looked very similar.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #15 
Littlebittyfish

http://www.floridaaquatic.com/aquari..._pusillus.html
Old 03-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Does your plant have a rhizome...rush or flag plants usually have a rhizome and only get about 4-6 inches tall.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #17 
Littlebittyfish

not sure if it has rhizome or not. the bottom almost looks like an onion plant but a few of them all connected at the root base kinda.
I have a few more photos:

see how much he loves it?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #18 
Byron

I was asked to check into this, and I believe the plant is Acorus gramineus "Variegatus", commonly called Variegated Japenese Rush. Leaves are stiff, from 30-50 cm (12-20 inches) long, arising from a thick rhizome [as in the photos]. Another variant has a yellow stripe on the leaves, it is called A. gramineus var. aureovariegatus and is otherwise identical to A. grimineus "Variegatus."

There is a form called A. gramineus var. pusillus that has leaves up to 10cm (under 12 inches) and slightly wider. This one apparently is better in cooler water (below 23C/71F).

These are not true aquatic plants, but my sources say they can last up to a year submersed in aquaria. They do better partly submersed, as in a plaudarium, with the upper half of the leaves above water.

They all last longer at cooler temperatures, but Hiscock says they are OK up to 26C/79F though they will not generally last quite as long at the warmer temperatures.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #19 
FuulieQ

Yeah, that's definitely not Mondo grass. I agree with Byron.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote