Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #1 
l2aymond

Maintaining neutral PH in community tank

I was just wondering if anyone had any good advice or tricks to keeping as close neutral or 7 PH as possible. Im using my tap-water with conditioner and the PH is always way to high, 8+. Ive tried the PH Balance kit with the drops. It would take me almost half the bottle of PH down to balance my PH and I know that acid isnt good for my betta. I know the betta would prolly be fine in my current water but Im looking at starting a community tank and some other fish wont be as tolerant.
l2aymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #2 
Alex09

Good Article:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Freshwate...anted-tank.htm

You can add peat to your filter. That's supposed to be the best way to do it. You can also try c02 injection - but this is probably only a good idea if your tank is planted. Whatever you do, do not use those pH buffering products. The article explains why. What other fish are you planning to put in the tank?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

I have high ph (8) and don't do anything to soften the water and all is fine. Heck, I used to raise angel fish in my water - LOL!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #4 
Cravenne

If you're buying fish locally, chances are they are used to the water conditions. Altering the PH is time consuming and the fluctuations cause a lot more problems than consistent levels.
Stability is always the key. Steady high PH is better than fluctuating PH levels...especially with buffering products.

Adding a layer of peat to your filter is an option. To my knowledge, it acts slowly and doesn't drastically change the levels overnight. For some reason I seem to recall reading that some driftwood has the same affect...not quite sure on that one though.

IMO.......if you buy locally and acclimate properly, most of the fish will be fine.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #5 
l2aymond

My tank is lightly planted at the moment but Im looking to add a good bit more live plants. My water is well water and the fish stores Im sure are on city water so Im not sure how much of a diff the ph will be.

Im looking into possibly keeping some of these fish...

-tetras
-loachs
-small plecto
-molies
-endlers
l2aymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #6 
Alex09

Those fish will be fine in a higher ph range if acclimatized slowly.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #7 
Lion Mom

I'm pretty sure the mollies & endlers LIKE high ph/hard water.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #8 
Cravenne

I agree.

I've read many places that tetras prefer soft water, but I've always kept them in my water without buffers. We used to be on a well, also and our water was quite hard...

Just acclimate them slowly.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote