Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #1 
Schwarze1

Concern with fluoro's fins

Hey guys,

I'm a bit worried. I went in to say hi to fluoro this morning and as he flared back at me I noticed that the tips on his dorsal and ventral fin seem kinda stringy :/ compared to his tail at least.

I don't know what this means. Is it just how the fins become as the fish ages or is this a health concern for the little guy? I only changed his water last night and gave him a new plant to play with.

If it's part of the ageing process of crowntails then understandable, but if it's a health concern, what can I do? I really don't want him to lose the colours of his fins.

Thanks guys
Attached Images

Schwarze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #2 
turtle10

What size and temp is his tank?
What is the water change schedule?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #3 
Schwarze1

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
What size and temp is his tank?
What is the water change schedule?
He's got a 3.5L tank (about 90mm x 200mm x 200mm) the water temperature sits at about 23-24 degrees celsius and I do complete water changes on tuesdays and fridays.

To be honest, I think it's the fact that I do full water changes rather than partial water changes :/
Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #4 
turtle10

Hmm so the water is about 74 degrees F. That is too cold for a betta. I suggest at least 26 degrees C. Also in something that small you should be doing 100% water changes more like three times a week.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #5 
Schwarze1

Strange though, because he moves with no fuss through the water and he gulps for air at a normal rate. Dunno if I am wrong but apparently bettas move rather slow in cold water and they zip around if it's too hot. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I put the water conditioner in the new water as directed and let it age a day before the day of his water change. I put it in a covered container so it's fair clean when I transfer it into the tank and I don't put the container in a cupboard or anything, I leave it out so that the temperature settles.

How can I keep the water warm for him? I am an 18 year old student on a tight budget :( but the little guy has been a real bundle of joy whenever I come back from my classes and I just want to treat him with utmost care.

When you say 100% water changes, you mean brand new water pretty much right? Because I clean the whole tank, give the plants and rocks a good clean and fill the whole tank up again with the new water.

At some point when I bought fluoro, I've been told to "cycle" 50% the water 3 times a week by someone at the pet store. What do they mean by that?

Still fair newb at this, so apologies if I ask too many questions.

Tags
betta concern, fins, limp