Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

I am annoyed with my fish...

Sequins tail was FINALLY healing up nicely after a lot of tail biting, and now it's being bitten to ribbons again! I know it's biting because he bites it right between the rays. It's like he wants to be a CT! He's a beautiful boy, and he's happy, but WHY does he tail bite? He's also built a super thick bubblenest in the last 2 days, so I know he's happy. Why must he bite? It makes me sad! I also just did a water change on Thursday (today is Saturday), so it's not like he's in stressful, dirty water. I went to eat dinner and I come back to him having a shredded tail. Well, just at the ends, but still. I don't know what's wrong with him. Silly fish. =/
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #2 
Luimeril

bettas tail bite for a number of reasons. boredom and stress are the two main reasons. figure out why, and you can stop it, usually. my delta, Dante, used to bite out of boredom. to combat that, i added more plants to his tank, and would change the decor around every water change. kept him active enough that he eventually stopped biting. sometimes, a filter could be too strong, and that stresses them out. if they're in divided tanks, that could stress them out too. i hope you figure out why your boy bites, and figure out a way to stop it. it's an annoying habit they pick up, i know. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

He's in a 3 gallon tank, no filter because he constantly flares at filters (lol), with 3 plants, a tube he LOVES to swim through, a cave, and a temp of around 80*. He had stopped biting for a while after I added the plants, but now he's at it again! I don't have any clue what could be wrong.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

Some are just chronic tail biters. I've done everything I could think of to reduce stress on my tailbiter. Then I thought maybe it was boredom so I did everything I could think of to reduce boredom. Nothing has worked, he still bites, and it's so frustrating. I hope that your guy is actually doing it for a reason, and that you can figure out and get him to stop!

You could try rearranging the plants. It's good that he stopped when you added them, maybe now he's gotten used to them, and he's bored again. Rearranging them will give him some new territory to expore.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

I did just rearrange them. Maybe that's why he's biting, but I did that a few days ago, and he just restarted biting today. I think it's more of a chronic issue. Every so often, he just seems to lose it and starts biting again.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

What's he being fed? Maybe he needs a new hiding spot or something? Like a cave.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #7 
Abby

Fredrick was in the custom tank beside his brother Cedric, ced was removed for qt to heal his fins from bennys attack and while ced was out of the bay freddy chewed his tail up since ceds been back he hasnt touched it....seperation anxiety?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

He has two hiding spots. I feed him 2 pellets twice a day, which is plenty. If I feed him more he gets bloaty. He hasn't been in a divided tank in ages, and he was more stressed when he was in one.