Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #1 
Guppie luver

I'm getting my beautiful male betta. From petsmart give me a tip! Anything please.

I realy want a betta I plan on getting him from petsmart. Ok so any tips are helpful I have never had a betta before but I would like to start thanks for any tips.!
Guppie luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

Hello, welcome to the wonderful world of betta keeping! :) This hobby is the best, believe me! :D Alright, what did you have in mind for a tank? It is reccomended on this forum that bettas have 2 gallons or more of swimming room. :) Filters rule, and heaters are a must.
Bettas don't really like flakes. ;/ They love pellets and eat them as their staple, but freeze dried bloodworms make their favorite snack ever.
Decor is easy! Gravel or sand, silk plants or real plants. :D Your choice! Real plants are more difficult to care for, but are rewarding for the tank ecosystem and look gorgeous.
Any other questions or things I didn't cover? :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #3 
TheCrysCat

Umm... my advice. Keep in mind that with smaller tanks comes more water changes xD and Bettas enjoy having places to hide.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Basically, the bigger the tank the less amount of water you have to take out during your weekly water change. So if you got your new betta a 10g, only 50% is needed a week, but if you got a 2.5, your doing 1-50% and 1-100% a week. Dont forget a heater! Bettas need temperatures of 77 to 83F. A thermometer will help you moniter the temp. :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #5 
Guppie luver

OK so I have a small 1.5 I know realy small but i also have a filter and a heater with a light. I know a lot of water changes but i can't get a bigger one but I also know that they eat pellets and maby a blood worm. thank you and anything else
Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

That tank w/ filter and heater should be fine for a while! :) Hmmm... got food, tank, decor... oooh, you know about conditioners right? Additives that make water safe for bettas? :)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #7 
Guppie luver

Yes deffinetly i lost alot of fish without condish and no decor yet i am getting that later and eventualy he will get a bigger tank like maby a 30 with dividers for more bettas OOO good idea if my mom lets me!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

Wow, 30 gallons sounds amazing! ;) Any more questions? We are pro's on this forum. ;)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #9 
Guppie luver

Ya one more its kinda randome maby ok so whats color betta should i try to get and i know i so want the 30 but i have to ask then my mom will tell me i have to by it and they are kinda pricey
Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

Yeah, they are pricey! But walmart sells a 10 gallon for like $12, you can start from scatch with that! Decorate and add a filter and heater and boom! You are in business. And betta color is entirely preference! :) It all depends on what is available, where you are going, etc. For example, where do you plan on getting your betta and what tail type do you want? :)