Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #1 
betta234

My Betta have white fins!

I left my betta at home for 10 days in a 1 gallon bowl. It now has part of the fins white. Not sure why...did some research, it didn't look like fin rot, as the fins are not broken or white tips or cotton. I asked my local pet shop, they said that a betta going without food for 10 days will start to revert back to original color, as the food enhances the betta's color...he said all in all, it's expected and it will return back to normal. I'm not as convinced as he is.

I change water once a week, use this water conditioner, and feed it food 3-4 pellets a day. He is active, responds well, and still eats like a piggy. Just worried about the change of fin color.

Please see attached photos.

Thanks for any help!
Attached Images

betta234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

With a one gallon bowl you need to do water changes (100%) at least every other day. And his bowl also needs a heater, that should be set at roughly 78-80 degrees. I can't recommend any heaters for bowls that small (all of the ones I've used were not efficient) but I'm sure other people can.

Moving him to a larger tank would be much easier- larger tanks are easier to maintain. If you do daily water changes and get a heater that will definitely help his fins.

Edit- Oh, and don't trust pet-store employees. The majority of them know nothing, or very little, about betta care. What they said is not true, at least to my knowledge.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #3 
betta234

Thanks for answering. Changing water every other day? That seems excessive, doesn't it?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #4 
FuulieQ

It does, but in a tank that small, ammonia builds fast.

Fish basically breathe their own pee, so if you think of it in terms of this... let's say you're constantly farting, and someone decides to keep you as a pet and puts you in a 4x4x4 glass cube with no air circulation and only opens the roof once a week.

And these aren't cute little farts, either. These are the bad ones. >:D
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #5 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post

Fish basically breathe their own pee, so if you think of it in terms of this... let's say you're constantly farting, and someone decides to keep you as a pet and puts you in a 4x4x4 glass cube with no air circulation and only opens the roof once a week.

That's a great analogy!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #6 
FuulieQ

Thanks. :P
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #7 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post

Wow! That is a good analogy. My husband would be dead within the week. He is stinky!

In terms of a heater, I have used an Elite 25W Mini-submersible heater and it worked really well in the 1 gallon I use for a sick tank. I have to have adjustable heaters and this one is great!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #8 
denaliwind

Hey ^^

I think if you just stick to a regular cleaning schedule he'll be just fine, he looks healthy. It doesn't look like his fins are in bad shape and if there is fin rot, it's at a very early stage, although white tips usually suggest new fin growth, although I'm no expert. I personally recommend 100% water changes every week with a 50% in between, and suck out any food or poopies that you see through out the week. If the 25w heaters don't fit in that size bowl there are some smaller options like the Marina 10w heater and the Marineland 10w, there are even smaller heaters, 7.5w, but I would stick to 10w or 25w (either one you'll have to monitor the water temp).

Good luck with your little guy! :D

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-16-2011 at 01:23 PM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #9 
betta234

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
In terms of a heater, I have used an Elite 25W Mini-submersible heater and it worked really well in the 1 gallon I use for a sick tank. I have to have adjustable heaters and this one is great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliwind View Post
Hey ^^

I think if you just stick to a regular cleaning schedule he'll be just fine, he looks healthy. It doesn't look like his fins are in bad shape and if there is fin rot, it's at a very early stage, although white tips usually suggest new fin growth, although I'm no expert. I personally recommend 100% water changes every week with a 50% in between, and suck out any food or poopies that you see through out the week. If the 25w heaters don't fit in that size bowl there are some smaller options like the Marina 10w heater and the Marineland 10w, there are even smaller heaters, 7.5w, but I would stick to 10w or 25w (either one you'll have to monitor the water temp).

Good luck with your little guy! :D
Thank you guys for your responses. I clean out poop with a tube and replace 90% of the water each week. I owned him for a little over a year, but this is the first time I left him home alone for over a week. Can you guys suggest a heater? I know he's been a little cold lately as I live in snowy new england.

This Marina heater has poor reviews :(
Old 03-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #10 
fishman12

Yes it is probably one of the reasons suggested above...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote