Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Betta toys, anyone?

So, I was feeding my boys their dinner just now, and Mister Fishy II was following my finger all around the glass as I finished feeding and so I held it just at the water's surface and he came up and poked around at it and gave me a little nibble XD

I feel bad for my two boys being stuck in QT with nothing to do. It's the same routine for them every day- I wake up at about 11, turn their lamp on, get them their breakfast, change their water some time between 1 and 6, and then feed them dinner between 7 and 9.

They don't do much.

Anyone have any suggestions for any toys I could give them to improve their stay? Since they stress out major when I do 100% water changes (Well, Zully does, Fishy not so much), I put a bit of gravel in their QTs (Not a lot, just a little) and a new plant in Fishy's (Zully's QT isn't tall enough for any plants but the one), and I do about a 75% change every day and a 100% every three days or so.

So homemade toys would be nice :)

Thanks guys :)
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 AM   #2 
Slipstitch

There's a thread somewhere covering toys... I just can't remember where. One idea was ping pong balls, another was just shiny things they can move around and such.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #3 
CrowntailxKing

I dont think they like water changes every day. I found it easier to put a filter with a valve in the tank, as it is divided into three sections, and put the filter on the same side as one of the females. When the surface of the water looks kinda murky in another section, I just get the little container one of the Betta came in to cup the water and dump it in the filter side, that way clean water pours in to the other sides and the dirty water gets clean! :)
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #4 
Luimeril

i have something like this:

an actual fish toy. :3 they don't give it a second glance, though. >.>; so far, none of my bettas care about it.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:57 AM   #5 
Slipstitch

I know this thread is a little out dated, but I found something super fun! There's a product called "dial a treat". It's a little red circular container with bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and daphnia. The spoon that comes with it has a little prong on the other end and you can stick the food in the prong and let them chase it. I expermiented a little and it also works greatwith pellets. Yay fun things for our bettas!
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #6 
lexi21

CrowntailxKing is right is not good to change water so often, is better using sump
lexi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #7 
Neil D

Not a toy but: break a terra cotta pot in 1/2. Tada! Two hidey caves. Yay for bettas
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #8 
Jupiter

I bought some cubes from the Dollar Store, the type you put in the freezer to make colorful ice cubes.

The float on top of the water and they're colourful, but so far none of my bettas care about it.

I also got one of those balls that have holes in them after I saw someone else on this forum give that to their fish...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #9 
gmd1800

I think I gave you that idea for the ball with holes. My fish love their toy balls - they're always swimming through it and my HM male likes to do fighter jet maneuvers through his. They're only about 4 bucks at Toys R Us! Make sure that the balls are cleaned thoroughly with hot water. It might be a good idea to boil them, but I haven't had a problem with mine.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #10 
iheartmybettas

I put a bioball in some of my betta tanks but they just ignored it. :(

Those balls at toys'r'us looks really cool though. I may have to break down and buy a million. Lol!

As for the water changes (even though that wasn't part of the question)... the fish are in QT which means they are probably sick for some reason so frequent water changes are crucial...
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote