Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #1 
nmaybyte

Does your filter have your fish by his/her tail? (Literally?)

So, I have a whisper 10 filteration system and for the most part it works okay. It does what any filter system should do and that is filter the water. However, I noticed last night that sometimes it'll suck X's tail right up against it and try as he might, he can't get away. So, I was online looking up things that might help and I couldn't really find anything to help me. It was at that point I decided to come up with a step-by-step filter shield (sorry Kim I'm a copycat :P)

Just like in Kim's post I'll be using a sharpie to outline where you should cut. Obviously you don't need to use a marker when you actually make your shield.
>>>Also, I'm aware that there are some junior members here. Please seek the help of an adult when you're doing this as it will involve using either knives or scissors. I've got scars on my hands where I thought I could handle them without supervision. <<<<

Step 1.
See where your filter is pulling the water from. Mine pulls from the front, so in order to protect my little guy I will make a front shield.

Step 2.
Get a water bottle or a plastic bottle of some kind.

Step 3.
Cut all the tags off. For the front pulling filters we're going to cut out the part that the adhesive was on so don't really worry about the adhesive part. For all other filter shields, I would HIGHLY recommend you do remove the adhesive and whatnot. By the way, your bottle needs to have been soaked and rinsed.

Step 4.
CAREFULLY cut out around the filter's intake. Mine is marked as followed:

Step 5.
Put your shield around the filter. I've already put mine on and it's back in with X so I illustrated it with a Sprite Zero can.

I do want to apologize about the pictures being so huge...but I figured if you can see it better, then awesome. I hope this has helped. I know X hasn't been pulled into the filter intake again so it's helped me.

One more thing. I don't know if you guys know how plastic is made or whatnot, but they do have some certain oils that are put in them during the making and modeling of the plastic. I would recommend making new ones each month. If not, the oils and other minerals are probable to leak out. It's just a precaution.
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote