Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #1 
davidbailey

Undergravel filter or no?

I'm gonna buy new(probably 1 gallon tanks). One has an undergravel filter and the other has the one like half above the water. Is one better then the other?
davidbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 
turtle10

Honestly in that small of a tank filters are not worth it. You still have to do 100% weekly water changes.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #3 
kgplucker

I don't like the undergravel filters. I find that the gravel gets stuck in them and makes them worthless anyway. I've also had them get stuck and then scratch the tank trying to get them out. use hang-on or internal filters.
kgplucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #4 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Honestly in that small of a tank filters are not worth it. You still have to do 100% weekly water changes.
Actually, you have to do 100% water changes every other day. Ammonia builds up SUPER fast in a tank that small.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #5 
davidbailey

Okay, I don't want to sound rude or not caring. But I keep my bettas in small unfiltered tanks without changing the water for a few weeks. One time, and I know this is bad, I didn't change the water for months(PLEASE DON'T FREAK OUT AT THAT). My fish are very active and happy. All I'm trying to say is that water changes really only have to be done every few weeks...
Old 03-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #6 
Sweeda88

Um, NO. They need to be done WAY more often than that. Please don't mislead people just because you got lucky.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #7 
davidbailey

I don't think I got lucky, I think you're being way to generous with the water changes.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #8 
Sweeda88

And I think you just don't know enough about fish. NO creature should have to live in their own filth that long. Would you wait to change a baby's diaper for days after they pooped? No, you wouldn't. So don't do it to your fish.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #9 
davidbailey

You cannot argue that a fish in a tank is the same as a baby with a diaper. The fish's poop just sinks to the bottom and after one day, especially with a betta, there isn't that much anyways.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #10 
Sweeda88

It releases ammonia, which builds up in the water. It doesn't take long for that to happen. They also release ammonia from their gills. That's why frequent water changes are necessary. Please don't get any more fish if you refuse to listen to reason.