Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

He accidentally my frog tank. :P

Does anybody have vacation horror stories? Here's mine!

Well, I left for about a week and a few days for Florida and left my fish and frogs under the care of a good family friend. Bless him, he has probably never had a fish, but he's a great guy, follows instructions well, works for free and nobody else has time. Worried about them the whole vacation. Flew back and discovered....

That the power had gone out and the filter in the frog tank hadn't been able to restart itself. :C

Talk about a mess. The poor guy taking care of them probably didn't even notice the thing had drained itself and was grinding air. I'd just put a new driftwood in there so the water was so yellowed and murky that I couldn't find all the frogs. The plants had grown like crazy into a giant thicket and some of them had dropped huge leaves which were rotting all over the place. Can you say "spend the next four hours changing water and doing damage control'? Weirdly, everyone was fine, and the water tested 0 for ammonia. Do liquid ammonia test kits expire?

Robert's filter had somehow stayed on, but his tank had a mass snail death for some reason and I spent another two hours picking stinky snails out of there. At least they weren't that big. All scaled occupants of that tank seem perfectly fine as well. Phew.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Wow! Glad everyones okay! Poor snails though...
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #3 
FuulieQ

Eh. I was going to buy an assassin snail to take care of them anyway. xD;
Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #4 
denaliwind

Ahaha oh man! What a trip! I'm glad everyone survived your noob friend. ^^

I don't have any horror stories nearly that good, although I had an aunt watch my bettas last summer for a month. I left her very clear instructions and went over the care in person. When I came back my aunt was like... "Um... their food frightened me a lot... so I bought flake food for them" ...ugh >.> I only feed them frozen/live... but at least they didn't starve, next time I'll have some pellets just in case. The fish were fine though and survived... although I don't think she cleaned out their tanks as often as I do and there was algae taking over. >.<;
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

Yeah, my ten gallon is absolutely full of algae now. :c I couldn't see any when I left, but I guess there's been a longer photoperiod.

Haha! My mom thinks my fish food is scary, too. :P
Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was gone for 10 days last year and a neighbor fed my fish for me. She only had to come 3 times and the last day she came over she discovered that one of my females had died. She called me to tell me. I asked her what she did with the dead fish. She said it was still in the tank. Gah! She asked me if I wanted her to go over and flush it and I said yes. I didn't want a dead fish sitting there for 3 days until I got home. Eeeuuuwww!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote