Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #1 
chelsmarie23

Angry Ugh. I don't understand why!

I just want to know why bettas bite their fins and how to make them stop!

I believe Ignacio has started the awful habit of biting his tail. He doesn't bite alot of it, just a little... so far at least. He is a cellophane veiltail so when he does it, the ends of his almost clear tail are obviously red. Like little dots. I just want to make him stop. He can't be tearing his tail because there isn't any rips in his fins and there is nothing in his tank that is rough and has the potential to do so.

He seems all happy too! Every time I come to his tank, he comes to shimmy and greet me. He is eating fine and swimming actively around his tank. He has a heater that keeps it 78 degrees. He lives in a 2.5 gallon tank with no filter. I change his water every 3-4 days.

Can someone help me?
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #2 
nochoramet

Are you sure it's tail biting and not fin rot? I'm not saying it is, just sometimes it's hard to tell between the two. Tail biting looks like chunks, or like it was sliced off with a razor blade, while fin rot looks like ragged/torn areas. Most of the time bettas bite because of stress, and you can sometimes find out the cause (mine bit because he was around other males in a divided tank; take him out and he's fine) but some members have tail biters that no matter what they did they couldn't get the fish to stop. 1fish2fish had a betta like that. I hope others can come on here and offer other explanations why he would. I know some causes would be too bright of light, not enough hiding spots, poor water quality, seeing other fish...etc etc. I'm sorry he's started, it's very frustrating when that happens :(
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #3 
Luimeril

some, like my Dante, out of boredom. some, out of stress. some, for no good reason.

the way i got Dante to stop, was to entertain him. i started re-arranging his tank, every time i changed his water. i added more plants to his tank, too. since then, he hasn't bitten once. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

Tail biting is the worst! I tried everything for my tail biter....Covered his tank with towels and kept the lights low in case he was stressed, fed him garlic pellets in case he had a parasite, did an epsom salt treatment in case he had sbd (he was a bit floaty at one point), just moved him into a bigger tank in case he was bored. I can't tell if he's stopped or not, though if he has it's probably just because there's barely any tail left for him to bite! It looks awful. And even though I'm very diligent about water changes, I still get nervous about secondary infections with him constantly having open wounds!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #5 
chelsmarie23

Thanks guys! I'll try rearranging his tank. He just started and I have had him for almost 3 months. I forget he was on my dresser in front of the mirror. :/ That was probably no help. I blocked his view of the mirror and I toned the lighting around him down.

I first thought it was because I'm not home all day every day. I'm pretty much home alot every other day. When he sees me, he gets all excited at starts swimming around! I was worried that I was his only entertainment or something.

But I know it was tail biting because there are shreds of his tail now laying in the marbles at the bottom of his tank x(. It bothers me seeing it. Also, where he bites his tail, it is red at the end. However! It does seem that he has stopped (or at least slowed down) since I've made changes.

Also, I used to have plant bulbs in his tank. I got them from Walmart and they never grew. When he had them, he made bubblenests like everyday! He stopped once I took them out. So I decided to get some more and he has at least starting blowing random bubbles again.

Am I doing everything right? I don't want anything to happen to Iggy. :(
Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #6 
turtle10

How much water do you change in the water change? For a 2.5 no filter you should be doing one 50% and one 100% a week.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #7 
chelsmarie23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
How much water do you change in the water change? For a 2.5 no filter you should be doing one 50% and one 100% a week.
That's what I am doing. :] I change his water about every 3 days. He is very healthy and I always rinse his things with hot water.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #8 
turtle10

Perfect. I guess he is just bored or something. If he stops with tank changes than maybe rearrange the plants every week or so.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #9 
chelsmarie23

I had his tank in front of a mirror. I've blocked his view of it and I haven't seen any newly shredded fin for about 2 days. I'm hoping that is all the tail biting he will ever do. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #10 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Ahhh tailbiters....tell me about it!

I have a pet store betta, Fishwish, who is a chronic tail biter. Once it starts healing again, he gives himself another trim. I've tried everything as well. I also have a few imports with very long tails, and a couple of them are the same way. One, who had a VERY long tail (he's an HM) used to really struggle to swim under the weight of it. Since trimming it down nearly to his body, his personality has changed....outgoing, crazy fun fish! Very social, etc. I honestly think that some fish just can't tolerate the weight of their beautiful tails and once they figure out the secret of easy swimming....well....there's no turning back!

Leave it to a male not to understand us woman and the whole 'suffer for beauty' thing

Just make sure to rule other things out, and if he turns chronic, make sure to keep the water nice and clean!

P.S. For fin rot, pick up some Maracyn 2, and keep it handy just in case....
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote