Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #1 
BlueHaven

Why would this happen?

My female betta just laid eggs.
I think i've heard of them making bubble nests before, and I don't know if it's considered a bubble nest but ever since I put my new HM male in a divided (it's glued to the tank with aquarium sealant, no bothering each other there, it's safe) tank with my female autumn, she's been putting random bubbles all over the surface of the water and flaring at me. She acts like she is mad at me and ignores me (I was thinking she'd get used to it as the divider only shows the shadow in some places of the other betta), only paying attention when I give her food. Even then she won't really look at me!
And then I saw her lay eggs just a few minutes ago, I've NEVER seen her do this or act this way. She ate the eggs. I just checked again and she's still doing that...
I don't want to cause problems for them and my female because I am NOT planning to breed, I just wanted a divided tank because it looks cool that way.
Would it be better for me to switch her to her own tank again and put one of my other bettas in the new place?
I am going to add something to one of the sides so that the bettas won't be able to see each other at all.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think she'll be fine. Females aalways have eggs and will release them if there is no male to spawn with. It's ok if she eats the eggs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 
Malvolti

It's usually recommended that you don't put females in a divided tank with males. It isn't super bad for either but it can be a bit more stressful on both than a male/male or female/female tank.

Both are releasing hormones into the tank which is going to drive their mating instincts nuts. They'll probably settle down over time it'll just take a little longer.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #4 
Luimeril

Caroline does that at least once a week. she'll build the cutest bubble nest, then let out eggs and eat them. i saw her a few times, putting eggs IN the bubble nest! it was so cute. she ate them later, though. >3>
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #5 
BlueHaven

lol
Okay, I will probably switch her with Shimmy, if Autumn still acts mad at me today. They will still have the same amount of space. :)

Thanks for the help!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote