Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #1 
christina

Put into cycling tank or bowl I can clean more easily?

I am going to end up getting a betta from a friend on the in about 10-15 days. I have a 1 gallon bowl and a 5.5 gallon tank I started cycling today. (her previous tank is put to a different use, and I will get some of her gravel to help with the cycle- but not until about the time I'm getting the betta) Would it be safer to put him in the 1 gallon bowl where I can clean it more regularly and keep a close eye on him, or to put him into the tank and just keep up with partial water changes. I've seen advice on how to keep a betta in a bowl and how to help them survive the cycle... but which would be preferable?

... I killed a previous betta (probably) from either ammonium or from stress. Since it seems like either option I'd put them through stress and ammonium/Nitrite poisoning... I'm not quite sure which is worse. I have heard advice to keep the betta quarantined for a week after getting it anyways, but I don't have anything much in the tank, and it is from a friend, so all I can imagine is stress-induced illness from the move instead of being in a community of bettas

Last edited by christina; 03-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.
christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #2 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina View Post
I am going to end up getting a betta from a friend on the in about 10-15 days. I have a 1 gallon bowl and a 5.5 gallon tank I started cycling today. (her previous tank is put to a different use, and I will get some of her gravel to help with the cycle- but not until about the time I'm getting the betta) Would it be safer to put him in the 1 gallon bowl where I can clean it more regularly and keep a close eye on him, or to put him into the tank and just keep up with partial water changes. I've seen advice on how to keep a betta in a bowl and how to help them survive the cycle... but which would be preferable?
It would definitely be best to keep your betta in the bowl, until your tank has fully cycled but the bowl must be cleaned 100% everyday or every other day :) What are you using to cycle your tank?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #3 
christina

I am using the no-fish method, however, I'm now beginning to doubt the effectiveness of my cycle. My ammonium seems to not be immediately reduced without Nitrites showing up. I think my filter (Which I found has zeolite in it) is filtering out the ammonium. I might just keep an eye on the filter and put the betta in the tank.
christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

If it helps in your choice at all, Ive found the presence of stemmed aquatic plants (there are LOADS!) aid in cycling and reduce the level of ammonia in the tank, allowing your fish an extra bit of safety.

The fish-in isnt so scary so long as you're willing to monitor it and do the changes. Plus, with your fish, you have a constant, steady (and not stinky..) source of ammonia.

Good luck with your cycling quest! You do what you feel most comfortable with.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #5 
Cravenne

Agree with above...

If you're comfortable cycling with him in the tank, then do so. Just check your water regularly and perform the water changes necessary to keep ammonia levels 'safe'. Don't overfeed, remove any uneaten food promptly and enjoy him in his new home right from the start.
Live plants are helpful for sure. I always suggest Wisteria because I've had so much luck with it. It grows quickly, is readily available at most stores that sell live plants and is fairly priced(in my experience anyway). You can plant it in the gravel or let it float, whichever you prefer.

If you decide to change your route and cycle with the fish in, do a complete water change to remove the ammonia before you put him in.

Good luck :)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote