Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2007, 01:41 AM   #1 
MattD

Does anyone here have a Betta in a larger tank?

My Betta is in my 40 gallon, and I often wonder if other people have them in larger tanks or usually smaller ones. I understand the ideal size for them is 7g - 10g because they're not used to big open water, but I don't have anywhere else in my bedroom for a tank that size. I had him in a hex 2 gallon but I don't think he liked it in there that much, he just floated in one spot a whole lot of the time unless he was fed. He built bubble nests in the 2 gallon though, and he doesn't in this 40g tank. I think it may be only because of the current though.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #2 
mHeinitz57

there is nothing wrong with having bettas in larger tanks. Bettas are accustomed to small areas because their natural enviroment is a rice paddy, in which they live in small little puddles. However, these fields go on for miles and many experience flood seasons. While bettas have adapted to smaller living conditions, they will naturally live in larger areas of water as well. In large tanks though, there is a tendency to overstock or put fish in their that could pose a threat to bettas. While i've seen them live with pretty much anything, try to avoid brightly colored fish and ones with longer flowing tails. Even fancy guppies can be threatening to a betta and he may attack. Also avoid fin nippers such as tiger barbs. Even if the betta hangs out in just one area of the tank, personally I think they like the extra space.
mHeinitz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #3 
aquathena

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't male bettas make bubble nests when they're happy? I have two (separated, of course) and they make huge bubble nests in their respective homes, even if it isn't that big.

I'm sure your betta appreciates the extra space, but he might be happier in the 2 gallon tank.
aquathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #4 
Rue

I have 2 males...

...one is my 25g community tank...along with 3 female bettas...

...the other is in my 25l tank...along with 5 mystery snails...
Rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #5 
mHeinitz57

bubble nests are usually a sign that they are healthy but they do it when they are ready to mate. Doesn't exactly mean they are happy though.
mHeinitz57 is offline   Reply With Quote