Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #1 
Luimeril

Question what causes shovel head?

so, i've heard alot about not wanting to breed shovel-headed bettas. shovel head, bad dips, whatever you wanna call them. but, i've never heard about what causes it. o.o is it a skull deformity, a spine issue, what? i've also never actually SEEN one, so if someone has a pic of a betta with a bad 'shovel head', please show me. i THINK my walmart boy, Remy, had one, but, as i said, i've never actually SEEN one, so~

anyways, what is it, what causes it, why is it bad to breed bettas with it, can it be bred out of a line? o.o no worries, i don't plan on breeding any time soon, and when i do, it'll probably be an orange dal line, so~
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It's when the head curves down/in ward instead of out (between the eyes and mouth). It is considered as a fault in shows thus unwanted in breeding. I'm not sure, but it seems genetic and difficult to erase. Some offspring will always have these dips.

Another unwanted feature is a straight spine - between the mouth and tail is rather straight. This may also be genetic. IDK. But I've had some fry turn out like that though the parents had desired spines.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #3 
Dragonlady

Although I do not condone fighting bettas, there is a certain type of plakat bred for fighting in Thailand that has a distinctive spoon head or shovel head and also extremely sharp teeth.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #4 
Luimeril

aahh. yeah, i've seen videos of fighting bettas, with dippy heads. x-X i hate watching those things.

so, it's just a fault in shows? does it hurt them in any way? o.o
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO, dippy heads doesn't hurt them. Though I'm not into shows, never the less I still wouldn't breed the ones with more extreme dips, if I had a choice.

Although PK's ancestors were fighters, they're a totally different breed - they're not bred to be killing machines. Here, we differentiate PK's (show) and fighters. Fighters are more natural - wild like, while PK's fins and colors have evolved quite a bit.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Good luck with a dal line...Heh, its like a 1 in 100 change per spawn to get ^^;;;;;

Ive heard a breeder who shows say that if not too too bad, it wint be considered a fault. But I know if its severe, it would be.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #7 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
Although I do not condone fighting bettas, there is a certain type of plakat bred for fighting in Thailand that has a distinctive spoon head or shovel head and also extremely sharp teeth.
Bettas with sharp teeth... now that is a scary picture.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

It hurts quite a little bit when mine bites me...I cant imagine ugh!~
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote