Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #1 
gamiller

Very Sick Betta (Urgent)

My male betta, who I got at the beginning of August '10, is very sick. A little more than a week ago, I noticed that he was losing color (he was pitch black with blue streaks on his fins) and was becoming more gray. Since then, he has lost more color, and possibly developed tail rot and has a cloudy eye. He doesn't eat much, and just sits at the bottom of his tank.

He is in a .5 Gal tank, I change his water weekly, and he has been on E.M. Erythromycin since Sunday. I've also sprinkled kosher salt in his tank 3 times since sunday. I realize that there likely isn't any hope for my little friend at this point, and I've all but decided to euthanize him today (Clove oil) unless anyone is able to suggest another treatment...

Thank you

Last edited by gamiller; 03-17-2011 at 11:50 AM.
gamiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 
gamiller

more info...

Tank is room temperature, so probably 70 degrees
No filter
Only fish in the tank
Use distilled water in the tank
Feed him Nutrafin Max with bloodworms
Old 03-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #3 
gamiller

After reading other posts, it sounds like I need a much bigger tank, but I don't see how he could have survived 7 full months in the exact same setting without issue if the tanks size was the problem... Please, does anyone have any kind of a suggestion...?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamiller View Post
After reading other posts, it sounds like I need a much bigger tank, but I don't see how he could have survived 7 full months in the exact same setting without issue if the tanks size was the problem... Please, does anyone have any kind of a suggestion...?
There is a difference between surviving and thriving. Yes he lived that long, but he was suffering. That tank is too small for any living creature. You need at least two gallons. 70 degrees is waaay too cold for bettas. They need temps in the 78-80 degree range, as they are tropical fish. You should never ever used distilled water for bettas. It lacks the minerals they need to survive. Bloodworms should only be fed as treats. In something that small you need to be doing daily 100% water changes. Ammonia builds up to deadly levels fast.

You would be surprised as to the horrific conditions some bettas have survived. But survival does not mean that they are happy or healthy. Humans could survive in a tiny closet in their own filth, but obviously that is a totally unadequate living standard. You don't want your fish's life to be like that, right?

You need to get him into a bigger tank ASAP with a heater and more water changes. He is sick because of his current living conditions.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #5 
fishman12

Okay, large amount of corrections coming.
He definitely needs a larger tank, 2 gallons at the least. With the larger tank, a filter, heater, and thermometer are easier. A good heater would be the marina 10w (for 2 gallon). Also, trhe water changes need to be at least 1 50% & 1 100% a week. You should not distill water, instead use spring water or (more recommened) use a water conditioner. I'm not sure what type your food is, but pellets are better.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #6 
turtle10

Tap water with conditioner is best.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I would try and get him into something bigger. Ammonia builds up way to fast in a .5 container for 1 weekly change.I would do 100% water changes daily while he is sick.
I would also consider getting him a heater, bettas love warm water.Also, eventually you might want to switch him slowly to conditioned tap water as bottled water can sometimes lack minerals the fish need.

If he were my fish, I would finish up withthe Erythromycin (which should be today if you've had him on it since sunday, correct?) and get him into something bigger with a heater and see if that doesn't improve his condition.I wouldn't use the salt with the Erythromycin because it is a pretty strong medication.. How are you dosing it for a .5 container? medications alone can sometimes cause a fish to act a bit lethargic if the dose is too strong.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #8 
scootshoot

Well I won't discuss the cure since other posters will have taken care of that.

In regards to preventative maintenance..... (Half gallon of water + Weekly water change = it was only a matter of time)

It's sort of like your 3k mile oil change rule. Yes your car may last and last but eventually it will catch up. Good luck on getting your buddy back up to par.

Last edited by scootshoot; 03-17-2011 at 12:45 PM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #9 
gamiller

We have been giving him just a pinch, maybe a little more, of the medication.

I've got him in a slightly bigger container with spring water for now until I can go get a bigger tank with a heater sometime this afternoon. Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated
Old 03-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #10 
turtle10

Ok that is good. I hope your little guy gets better!

Tags
sick betta