Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Do you think I'd stand a chance????

So, there's this pet store near me.

They are almost always hiring. It's not a huge chain or anything, There's a total of 7 stores, all of which are within two hours of where I live.

There's one that's ten minutes from my house.

I want to apply for a job this summer and my mom thinks that I should apply there. I'll be fifteen in July and I told her I doubt they'd hire me when I'm only fourteen (I'd need a work permit either way) and she said "They'd definitely take YOU at fourteen."

I'm organized, I'm responsible, and I've had plenty of animal experience.

When I was little I had a goldfish that lived for five years, we've had at least one dog for as long as I can remember, we've always had cats and have two at the moment, one of which belongs to me, we have had a guppy tank for the last seven years, and for the past seven months I've owned my Bettas :) I also took riding lessons at a stable for five years and have leased for two but had to stop because of money issues, amongst other things.

Do you think I'd stand a chance for getting hired? I mean, I know that a lot of people are looking for jobs and the likelihood of a fourteen year old getting hired is a bit difficult, but I'm not planning on applying until about a month before my fifteenth birthday, which means I'll be on summer vacation and I'll have the ability to work every day if necessary.

That's part of the reason why I'm waiting to apply- if I wait until the summer I can technically work 40 hours a week (I read up on child labor laws in my state, it's only 18 hours a week during school, but during a non school week a minor can work 40 hours) but I'm going to apply for a part-time job there, so it'd be 30 hours a week or less.

My older brother is going to be eighteen in September and has his license, as do both my parents (Obviously) so getting rides there wouldn't be difficult and I could ride my bike there in a pinch.

Do you think I have enough animal experience to stand a chance for getting a job there? I'd be fine doing anything, be it cleaning fish tanks or sweeping aisles, it's just that I'm running on $15 a week right now and I have a concert to pay for, fish supplies to buy, and I'm saving for a new guitar, so I'd like to have something where I can make more money.

wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #2 
Jessiefish

You sound like a very together 14 year-old. In fact, if you hadn't posted how old you were, I'd have guessed 17+. I say go for it!! You might not get the job, but potential interview experience and getting out there are definite positives.

Good luck!
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you have a good chance! I think you should go for it!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #4 
TaylorW

I think you're very mature, for the longest time I've been thinking you were MUCH older than 14! I thought you were at least 16 or 17! :) You should definitely try it, if you get the part time job it would look great on a resume!

The more job experience/outside of school activities you have the more colleges and future employers will like you! :)

And making money and working with animals is a lot of fun! ^_^
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #5 
wildmagic713

Haha yeah :) I'm already in two clubs at school, one which raises money for the humane society that I volunteer at (Forgot to mention that, it's been going on a year that I've volunteered with the cats there XD) and then Haitian Connection :) We raise money to send to Haiti to help rebuild and send kids to school and stuff.

Everyone always thinks I'm older than I am XD
Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #6 
Pekemom

You sound so mature, Wildmagic and are so responsible. Any store would be happy to have you as an employee. Remember not to give up! If you don't get this particular job, keep trying!! I always say it takes ten tries to get one good job offer...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #7 
wildmagic713

Thanks guys :) I feel encouraged :)
Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #8 
wildmagic713

Ugh people on Yahoo! Answers are such dream killers XD

I only got one positive answer- I mean, you can tell me I don't have a chance (She said I did though), but do it in a nice way please!

Or at least a polite way...

You don't have to be all "Well, I wouldn't hire someone under 25 if it were MY pet store. I just wouldn't trust a CHILD to be giving advice to people."

Yeah, that's you. Not everyone else XD

And I expected to be cleaning fish tanks or putting merchandise on the shelves....

Not to be walking around telling people what to do... If it's for a Betta I'll make an exception, otherwise, I'd do pretty much anything.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #9 
SaylorKennedy

Yeah, the thing that most people don't think about is that jobs at petstores are 80% about selling merchandise.
I definitely wouldn't rule you out. :)
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #10 
Alex09

You never know until you try!
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote