Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #1 
ksheaalex

Unhappy Garfield looks sick again. )><(((;>

Hi, My poor baby is sick again! Garfield's face has turned white, and he seems to have labored breathing. He is floating on his side most of the time, very close to the aquarium heater. since he has been sick in the past, I'm very concerned about his health. I have used 2 courses of Bettafix treatment on him, which has helped, but his health seems to decline when the medicine is completed. Garfield is the only fish in a heated 3 gallon aquarium with an underground filtration system. I keep the aquarium at a constant temperature of 78F, and the aquarium has a hood.

I feed him 2 pellets once a day, and give himblood-worms occasionally as a treat.

I do 25% weekly water changes and add cycle and conditioner to the water with each change.

I have not tested his water lately, but since he had the same symptoms in the past, with no water issues, I'm suspecting that the water is not the issue. Should I do another course of medicine?
ksheaalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella...I would stop the bettafix and cycle and start making water changes...right now I would start making daily 50% for several days and then...in a 3gal filtered tank it needs at least twice weekly 50% water changes and with UGF it needs a good weekly vacuum to keep the plates free of debris so it works properly.....

With your water changes just use the dechlorinator and try to keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water with your water changes...

If he doesn't improve in a couple of days with the daily water changes you may need to QT and start a 10day Epsom salt 1tsp/gal for 2 days along with 100% daily water changes and then increase the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes...

Keep us posted....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 03-17-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #3 
ksheaalex

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that and keep you posted.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #4 
ksheaalex

Hi just to give you an update on Garfield's progress. My betta is doing okay, I am currently doing an Epsom salt treatment on him, and he seems to be responding well to it. He still floats on his side, but his breathing has improved. He is eating again, but he is a picky eater so I'm struggling with that still. I've been looking for another brand to try, but as of yet have not found anything to his liking. I will update as he progresses. Thanks for all your support.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #5 
Luimeril

try soaking his pellets in garlic juice, or bloodworm juice. that sometimes helps picky fish eat the pellets you offer them. what brand of pellet do you feed him? i'm glad he's doing better.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #6 
ksheaalex

Thanks for the tip. I will try that and see if he likes that better. Currently I use a no name brand, but I'm open to suggestions!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #7 
ksheaalex

Update: I'm so sad to report my sweet angel Garfield passed away last night. Thanks to all who have helped me through all of Garfield's illness. He is probably happily swimming in the waters of heaven eating his favorite food blood worms!

I will get another fish, but I'm going to take my time to find one. I am new to raising betas so I hope the next fish I get will be healthier. Do anyone have any tips to offer to help me determine that the next fish I get is healthy? Anything I should look out for that could be a warning that the fish is sick, before I bring him home from the pet store? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #8 
Harley

Sorry to hear about Garfield. The only thing I know how to look for before buying is fin rot. I got Harley and he had fin rot right from the store but I didn't know enough to realize it. You may also want to check the quality of the water (looks) before you get a fish. The Pet Smart by my place will even check some water properties when you buy a fish so you may ask for that when you buy. Harley was in pretty cloudy water but I had no idea how that would affect him. I just assumed he would have clean water when I got home so that would be o.k. Another thing to check is to look for any sores, spots of discoloration, popeye or missing scales. I'm sure someone else can give you other things to look for. Good Luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #9 
ksheaalex

Thanks for the advice. I will watch out for those issues while looking for my new finned friend.