Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #1 
misamiania

Stocking 10 gal.

So the next tank I intend to do is a 10 gal. I already have the Betta and ghost shrimp, I want to upgrade them and get some tank mates.

1 Betta
3 Albino Cory Cats
2 Micky Mouse Platies
Ghost Shrimp (They hide so I'm not sure how many are still alive)

It's going to be planted with java moss, hairgrass, moss balls, and hopefully some Anubis of some sorts.

Is this a good stocking? too much? just right? Is there fluctuation room to add more or take some out?

Thanks in advance :)
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #2 
shinybetta

The cories need a larger tank and group. You can get pygmy cories, but if you get cories yo must have sand. Some people keep with gravel, but they really prefer sand and you shouldn't get them unless you can care for them the best you can. I would get 3 platy's and 3 otocinclus, if you are looking for bottomfeeders. Marbled crayfish would also be a good bottom feeder.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #3 
misamiania

The cories need a larger tank and group.

Really? I thought someone had said 3 cories in a 10 gal would be okay? Read it on this site somewhere.... hmmm darn.

You can get pygmy cories, but if you get cories yo must have sand. Some people keep with gravel, but they really prefer sand and you shouldn't get them unless you can care for them the best you can.

I have sand, and I'm actually learning to prefer it.

I would get 3 platy's and 3 otocinclus, if you are looking for bottomfeeders. Marbled crayfish would also be a good bottom feeder.

So platy's prefer groups of 3 or more?

Otocinclus... what are those? haha I have never heard of them. Do they eat algae or are they just kind of clean up crew after bits of food that the fish miss?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #4 
misamiania

So looked up otocinclus, I don't think I want full scale algae eaters. Just some fishies to snatch whatever slipped through the cracks for the most part. Along with whatever is their actual diet. That's why I didn't want to look into Pleco's or anything.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #5 
Cravenne

IMO..

If you take out the platies you can house 3 corycats. Larger groups are preferred to see the shoaling characteristics, but..3 is enough for them to be social. In fact, my LFS had only 3 Albinos in stock when I purchased mine years ago..I wanted the same type and bought only those three. They were quite happy and 2 even spawned for me.

That said...if you can find Pygmy Corys, they are amazing little things. Very cute and tiny..those would be a great option.

I wouldn't advise Otos unless you have an established tank, which..clearly you don't.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #6 
shinybetta

You should do 5-6 pygmy corydoras. If you can't find those look for smaller species. I beleive panda corydoras are small, and that way you can get them a good sized group.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #7 
misamiania

From what I'm understanding if I do want platies they should be 3 or more?

Will 3 Panda cory's be okay together or should they be in bigger groups?

I'd like to keep the micky mouse platties because it's kind of a thing for my friend too. Though it's my tank it's a tank away from home tank for her kind of thing. So the micky mouse platies are a must.

Even if that means rearranging all the other fishes.

So far the only thing I do know is 3 platties (since I've seen everyone say 3 so 3 it is)
1 Betta
Some ghost shrimp

The only thing still up in the air is the cory's. Panda cory's I think is the vote lol.

An thanks now to everyone who's helped!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #8 
Cravenne

IMO....you don't have enough room to do the platies AND the corys.
Platies are livebearers just as guppies are. 1M to (at least) 2F ratio is necessary if you are mixing up the sexes. In that case you should be prepared to rehome lots and lots of fry. Or just purchase 3 of the same sex.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #9 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by misamiania View Post
From what I'm understanding if I do want platies they should be 3 or more?

Will 3 Panda cory's be okay together or should they be in bigger groups?

I'd like to keep the micky mouse platties because it's kind of a thing for my friend too. Though it's my tank it's a tank away from home tank for her kind of thing. So the micky mouse platies are a must.

Even if that means rearranging all the other fishes.

So far the only thing I do know is 3 platties (since I've seen everyone say 3 so 3 it is)
1 Betta
Some ghost shrimp

The only thing still up in the air is the cory's. Panda cory's I think is the vote lol.

An thanks now to everyone who's helped!
Either do 3 platies, or 4-5 smaller corydoras.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #10 
misamiania

Cravenne: IMO....you don't have enough room to do the platies AND the corys.
Platies are livebearers just as guppies are. 1M to (at least) 2F ratio is necessary if you are mixing up the sexes. In that case you should be prepared to rehome lots and lots of fry. Or just purchase 3 of the same sex.

Oh really? I thought they would be able to be housed together since corys are bottom dwellers and Platies are middle and up.
Shinybetta: Either do 3 platies, or 4-5 smaller corydoras.

Will do.

So the final stocking line up. Much thanks to Cravenne and shinybetta, I think you two were the only ones who posted! lol so I give alot of thanks to you helping me sort out the stocking requirements.

1 Betta
3 Micky Mouse Platties
Ghost Shrimp
Assortment of plants

:) woho now I has the plan! Now to go clean that sand lol