Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #11 
Sweeda88

I'd love some, but I can't pay shipping. Otherwise, I'd say yes.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #12 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I tried Anacharis, but it all died. I'm not sure I can handle a NPT just yet. It seems like more work than the water changes. I don't exactly have a green thumb. Also, I don't have money to put into more plants. I'll just do my best with the changes. I do a 50% on my 10 gallon twice a week, a 100% on my 3 gallon twice a week, and a 50% on my filtered 5 gallon once a week. I hope that's enough, because it has to be for me.
try Java moss. i have a 'brown thumb', every plant i get, aquatic or not, dies on me. but, my Java moss is wonderfully green and alive.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #13 
Sweeda88

I want some Java Moss, but I rarely have money to buy anything new. I'll keep it in mind though.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #14 
Luimeril

i ended up with my big Ball o' Moss when i bought Red Cherry Shrimp, ended up with the surprise gift of Chappy, and bought a trio of gups. i guess it just grew to it's size on it's own, because i didn't start with this much moss! it's a wonderful plant, and if you can ever get any, do. :3
Old 03-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #15 
Sweeda88

I will. I haven't checked out Petsmart or Petco yet, just my LFS. So I'm not out of options.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #16 
Luimeril

Chappy grew up in it. it was so cute, seeing these black specks peeking out of a creamy spot in a forest of green. <3 i'd love to try a planted tank one day. maybe if i get that 20g~
Old 03-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #17 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i know how you feel. i have 7 of them, and i'll admit, i slack off on water changes at times. i shouldn't, since they're all smaller tanks, with only Caroline and Chappy having a live plant(java moss), and it's NOT something i'm proud of. i never let any of them go more than a few days past water change day, though. i feel too bad if i do. D:

OFL, i'd love to learn how to do planted tanks, if you're willing to teach me? i adore the natural-looking plastic plants i have in Caroline's tank, and the Java moss is so pretty, and her and Chappy adore it so much(to the point where, Chappy will dive-bomb into her batch, then wiggle around till she's in it, like a kid in a pile of blankets and pillows!).
Aww, I spent 20 minutes writing a reply and my computer shut off. Let me restart. Basically add soil( miraclegrow organic choice potting soil works well), cap with sand (playsand is great), fill with 1 to 2 inches of water, plant and decorate, then fill. Wait 30 minutes, then add equipment. Remember, cycling can bad (the bacteria compete with plants for nutrients), so it is mostly for flow, and added oxygen, if the plants can't make enough oxygen for the fish.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #18 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Aww, I spent 20 minutes writing a reply and my computer shut off. Let me restart. Basically add soil( miraclegrow organic choice potting soil works well), cap with sand (playsand is great), fill with 1 to 2 inches of water, plant and decorate, then fill. Wait 30 minutes, then add equipment. Remember, cycling can bad (the bacteria compete with plants for nutrients), so it is mostly for flow, and added oxygen, if the plants can't make enough oxygen for the fish.
cycling is bad in a planted tank? @.@
Old 03-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #19 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
cycling is bad in a planted tank? @.@
Yep, the filter bacteria live off the same things the plants do, and without extra ferts (un needed in an NPT), the bacteria will either win, or make the plants less healthy.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #20 
Luimeril

my biggest fear would be, them not getting enough light. my Java moss lives just fine with bedroom light, but i've heard other plants need fancy-pants lights. ._.