Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

All my ghosties died, what did I do wrong?

Some of you may remember from a previous post about the ghost shrimp that attacked my fish fins..I took the ghost shrimps out, but I felt bad for them..So I added them back into my 10 gallon.
Since then none of them attacked my fish again...or maybe my fish learned to keep his distance from them?
My fish didn't really mess with them, I never seen him bite at any of them..sometimes he would rest on his anubias and stare at them for awhile, but he wouldn't bite at them. I made sure to spread my java moss out thin on the bottom of my tank so that they had plenty of hiding area. I fed them flaked food and they would eat at the algae wafers my snails eat. Despite all that 5 out of 6 of them have all died... My fish and my snails are all acting fine and my ammonia is at 0?What could I be doing wrong?I fear the last one isn't far behind as he is looking "cloudy".
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #2 
Welsh

I'm sorry about your shrimp :( Well my first guess would be your fish decided to make sushi out of them, however shrimp do not react well to copper. Have you checked your plant ferts and de-chlorinator for traces of copper? Do you de-chlorinate your tap water before adding to their tank?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #3 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Some of you may remember from a previous post about the ghost shrimp that attacked my fish fins..I took the ghost shrimps out, but I felt bad for them..So I added them back into my 10 gallon.
Since then none of them attacked my fish again...or maybe my fish learned to keep his distance from them?
My fish didn't really mess with them, I never seen him bite at any of them..sometimes he would rest on his anubias and stare at them for awhile, but he wouldn't bite at them. I made sure to spread my java moss out thin on the bottom of my tank so that they had plenty of hiding area. I fed them flaked food and they would eat at the algae wafers my snails eat. Despite all that 5 out of 6 of them have all died... My fish and my snails are all acting fine and my ammonia is at 0?What could I be doing wrong?I fear the last one isn't far behind as he is looking "cloudy".
Are you sure it wasn't a molt?
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a molt..one was laying pink upside down between my heater and the tanks glass, could I be cooking them??

I use prime to condition my water. I haven't added any plant ferts. to my tank for at least a month before I got my shrimp. I was worried about my apple snails because they're sensitive to copper as well, so I stopped using it until I could find out if my fert. was safe for them.

Maybe my fish really did eat them? I am not sure.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #5 
nmaybyte

At least you know what happened to your shrimp. I honestly cannot find one of mine. He's gone. He's not in the tank, not around the tank, I don't think X ate him considering X isn't very aggressive.....I'm at a loss. I'm about to chalk it up to alien abduction.
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Ghost shrimp don't have a long life span to start.....if you got them full grown they may have died a natural death of old age......also, high nitrate can kill shrimp...they tend to be a bit more sensitive to nitrate than fish....a good weekly vacuum usually will take care of that......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

My one shrimp is still alive and healthy looking.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #8 
vaygirl

Maybe your last shrimp is the Hannibal Lecter of shrimp? :P In all seriousness, sorry about your lil shrimps. I had them once and lost every last shrimp over a month. I think Tango had many good meals at night.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Maybe your last shrimp is the Hannibal Lecter of shrimp? :P

Possibly!
This would explain the fish attack maybe.