Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #1 
laughing

Filters, live plants, or what?!

I will be getting 2 male bettas in a week in a half! I have a 5-7 gallon tank that I would love to use for them but the filter is missing the grated piece at the bottom. Unfortunately no one sells JUST those pieces (I even tried stealing one ) and I'm currently trying to make one from plastic piping then silicone it or something, but it's not for sure obviously.

So I'm considering just buying a new filter. Which is sad for me because I have this filter that is already cycled and fits in as part of the hood that works great, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right? What are some nice, cheap filters for 5 gallons?? I've been looking at some for about $5 or so, but not sure if I want those ones yet. The main reason I want it CHEAP is because I might be able to get this filter fixed soon and I don't want to spend $15 on a filter that I won't ever use again!

OR, should I just not buy a filter and get live plants? Ones that are known for sucking up ammonia and such? I could easily maintain these, this filter has a very strong hood light. (That does NOT radiate heat, just bright.) My water conditions always stay very steady as well...

But because my water levels stay level (even with 4 fish in there before) I'm wondering if just frequent water changes will do? I mean, I want to put them in their individual tanks, all this is basically temporary, which is why it irks me so bad!

So is there a cheap filter that will work well for awhile, or should I just plant/do frequent water changes?? I just don't know...
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

What do you mean by the filter is already cycled? Is the filter already set up and running in another tank? or the 5-7 gallon. If it is cycled and the filter media has the beneficial bacteria you could get a new filter and just switch your filter media over into it. I think that should work. ( im not 100% sure on it though)

I would recommend getting a filter because 100% water changes would be a pain weekly in a 5 gallon. Live plants filtered or not are never a bad thing though! fish looove them.
I am in need of a new filter for my 5 gallon as well, so I don't have any recommendations at the moment. I plan on just picking up whatever wal mart has the next time I visit there.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #3 
laughing

It ran awhile for my other fish, but they are bigger therefore wouldn't get sucked up in there. But they've upgraded to a wonderful 20 gallon(:

So yes, it was running a long period of time, it has all the bacteria. But I cannot buy an identical filter because it came as part of the hood, so that would be very complicated! :(

I wouldn't mind spending $15 on a good filter in any other case, but because it is only a temporary thing I'm not wanting to because it would most likely never be used again!!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #4 
Welsh

You say your filter has all the beneficial bacteria but is it still wet? :)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #5 
laughing

Why yes it is! I would like to add I haven't rinsed it in tap water or anything, either!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #6 
Welsh

That's good :) I hear people talking and recommending the Tetrawhisper filter; I think thats what its called lol. I'm not sure the price of them though.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #7 
laughing

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...d=1276&cid=280

This one??

I've been finding a lot, but many with a lot of great but a lot of bad, too. I'm just not really into any of them yet! But I did find one for something like $10 at PetSmart that I might try. (Don't remember which brand currently.) If not, I might just buy the filter I just bought for my other tank because I REALLY love it, I'd just have to baffle it, too. (I baffled the one I currently have to quiet it down some, the current it produces is SO strong!)
Old 03-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #8 
Welsh

Aquaclear is another filter, I have the British version of it and I love it :) Its also pretty reasonably priced :)
Old 03-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #9 
Thunderloon

is your filter a Marineland filter hood? system called "eclipse"?

They generally use the same intake pipe sizes as the walmart filters

My five gallon hex uses the same intake as the $10.00 aqua-clear filter

Find out what the filter is and I'll bet I can get you an intake strainer replacement
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #10 
laughing

Well the hood is like, a "slot" for the filter, and the filter is separate, but has a hood for it, too.

You guys are being extremely helpful, thank you!