Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #11 
1fish2fish

If you can find the proper foods and someone that knows how to care for fry by all means do that.

However I doubt your gonna know someone willing to hatch brine shrimp twice a day and do painstaking water changes that involve searching tirelessly for any tiny fry that have been sucked up.

Taking care of fry is NOT easy... Especially when they're still tiny.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #12 
vilmarisv

It's unfortunate but I have to agree with all other posters here... raising fry is NOT easy, it's the hardest thing in betta keeping, IMO.
They will eventually die anyway or have stunted grow from lack of food, making them weak and unhealthy.
They willl need many feedings a day with the right foods and daily water changes with aged water... it takes a LOT of time and if you're not 100% commited to dedicating an hour or two a day for the fry, then there's no reason to let them hatch.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #13 
reaper0325

If you live in a warm climate, you can just put the fry in a heavily planted basin outdoors and just leave them there. The next time you check on them, they'd be considerably bigger.

But it seems that you have cold weather there. Still, you may just leave the fry in the tank and not destroy the eggs. Just put lots of plants and they might survive while you are away. They will grow really slow during that period while you are away and a large number will die off, but I'm sure the toughest ones will survive.
reaper0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #14 
reaper0325

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp7594 View Post
shouldnt i give them a fighting chance and try to get some1 to care for them untill i get back in four days and if i killed them id feel pretty bad
Wait, are you leaving just for four days? Only the weakest will die off if its just four days. IMO, you can choose not to destroy the spawn. Just put LOTS of vinegar eels in the tank. They can survive in water for days. Cheer up, they'll be fine!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #15 
1fish2fish

The issue is the OP does not have foods already prepared. If he or she did have VE already I would agree with you.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #16 
reaper0325

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
The issue is the OP does not have foods already prepared. If he or she did have VE already I would agree with you.
Then OP better find some VEs. He/she's very lucky to have a spawn. Some spend lots of time and money just to have a successful spawn, but still never end up having one (I experienced this before). I would be such a waste to destroy the little fishies!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #17 
1fish2fish

The problem is VE are hard to come by in the US unless you have a culture all ready to go. You can sometimes find VE in wholefoods stores where they sell natural vinegar but there wouldn't be enough in there to feed the fry... even for a day or two.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #18 
nmaybyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
The problem is VE are hard to come by in the US unless you have a culture all ready to go. You can sometimes find VE in wholefoods stores where they sell natural vinegar but there wouldn't be enough in there to feed the fry... even for a day or two.
Dangit 1fish2fish, I saw your location and I thought it was the breeder's and I was like, "*mickey mouse voice* haha! I can do it." I live close to the GA/AL line. So....scrap that. I have a friend that lives in NY but I don't think she'd be interested in doing it.
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #19 
turtle10

Why was the female even in there?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #20 
amp7594

thanks
amp7594 is offline   Reply With Quote