Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #1 
Zifoof

Exclamation HELP! Something seriously wrong with my bettas EYEBALL!!

Ok so a day ago I noticed that my betta's eye had a white colored "film" over it. It doesn't seem to be swollen, it just looks like a cataract or something, and he doesn't seem to be able to see out of it. He is eating normally, swimming around actively, and just all around seems healthy. I just NEED to know what to do about his eye! If he is sick I need to know what sort of medicine to buy.

Here are some photos I took:

As you can see, it is just his right eyeball, and it isn't really swollen, maybe just a teeny tiny bit. I am at a loss right now, I have no idea what is wrong. I change his water every week, and he has a filter in the tank. I use filtered tap water and dechlorinater as well, specially for betta fish. I keep his tank light on during the day and turn it off at night time, and I feed him tetra betta pellets, and occasionally bettamin flakes.

Please, if you know what is wrong, let me know what to do asap! THANK YOU!!
Zifoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #2 
Zifoof

Somebody please help, I want to cure him as soon as possible ):
Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #3 
storrkopf

I have the same problem, with the same kind of betha ...and i would like to know....!!!!
storrkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #4 
denaliwind

Hey, can you fill out as many questions as possible? Thanks ^^

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #5 
BlueHaven

Well, I have got a lot to learn still, but I know clean water by frequent water changes always helps, along with warmer water temperatures in the low to mid 80s, and a bit of aquarium salt for 10 days will help anything.
But some medications you could use that I think are okay is Betta Revive, it helps all kinds of illnesses in bettas. Jungle has medicines that are good for bettas i've heard, and Indian Almond leaves.

I hope he gets better soon!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #6 
Zifoof

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? not sure (yes I know this is bad, I AM buying a heater and a thermometer TODAY, but my guess is about room temp, so 68-70 degrees)
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no, my bette hated the airstone I bought, it really distressed him
Is your tank heated? not yet, buying a heater today
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? I did buy two cory cats, but they died for unknown reasons, I think my betta killed them. I cleaned the tank well after they died.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets and occasional bettamin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week, but after reading I am switching to twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorifyer tablet. Last week I tried petco crystal clear because the water was cloudy, it made the water very very clear, but I discontinued the use, I thought that may have hurt his eye but I am not sure. I just cleaned the tank yesterday.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I do not have a testing kit yet.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His eye is cloudy and almost opaque
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?He is acting normal as ever
When did you start noticing the symptoms? two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet, I don't know what I am dealing with
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I got him only two weeks ago from walmart
How old is your fish (approximately)?I do not know how old he was when i bought him, but I have owned him two weeks.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #7 
denaliwind

He must be freezing! D: If your room temp is about 68-70 then the water temp is about 5 degrees cooler, which means he's extremely vulnerable right now, his little immune system must be seriously week, or even if his water is at 70, that's still in the danger zone. Definitely get a heater, asap and get the water up to at least 78, that's where you need to start. I wouldn't advance with any treatment until his water has warmed up, I don't think he can handle any sort of treatment right now. And on a side note since you have a filter you could do 2 50% water changes per week, one just removing water, the second change including vacuuming his gravel, although someone may suggest differently (I personally don't have filters so only speak from what I've read, not personal experience). Cory cats need at least 10g, so in a 2g you can't have any other friends... maybe a snail, but anything more would be seriously over loading the tank.

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-18-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #8 
Zifoof

I am about to go out and purchase a heater in a few minutes, thank you so much for your help, I know I probably seem like a terrible fish owner, but this is my first real time taking care of my own fish. I've always had hamsters and cats (still do) and they are very different.

I will keep you posted on how Zifoof is healing, I will warm the water today, when do you think I should start treating him? And what sort of medication should I pick up?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #9 
denaliwind

We all have to start somewhere, I know I made a lot of mistakes when I first started out, and I probably still do make mistakes. XD Bettas are hardy fish and most of the time can bounce back pretty quickly. I would say give him a day to adjust and warm up, maybe even two days. You might as well pick up some aquarium salt, but I usually try and avoid medications unless a simple salt solution doesn't work. I don't want to jump the gun and suggest a treatment yet until he's been in warm water for a good day or two. Then we can see how he's faring and go from there. Ooh and for future reference, I think you should just use straight tap with conditioner, not filtered tap as it might be taking away minerals that are important to his well being. Good luck! :)
Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #10 
Zifoof

yeah, I suppose you are right, but I still feel bad haha, poor Zifoof and his incompetent owner xD

Well I just returned from petco, I bought a heater for a 2 gallon tank and a thermometer that goes on the outside of the tank. I don't think the thermometer is reading correctly, because my tank is plastic and not glass, because it was reading 80 and my house is only 68 degrees. And the heater I bought automatically goes of when the water is 78 degrees, and kicks on when the temp starts to drop, and it has been heating since I put it in. SO, I think the thermometer is useless.

But in any case, hopefully this heater will help little zifoof, I also picked up a bottle of "Betta Revive" which treats "Protozoan Diseases, Bacterial Diseases and Fungal Diseases". I have NOT put it in yet, I wanted to ask you if this sounds like the right thing to use. Obviously if it is, I will wait until he has had heat for a day or two.

Again, thank you SO much for your help, you are a lifesaver, and Zifoof says a big THANK YOU as well! haha

Tags
emergency, eye infection?, eyes