Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #11 
FuulieQ

As long as you are willing to do whatever you can to fix the problem, you're an excellent fish owner. :) Not knowing something doesn't make you a bad one.

I've heard mixed things about betta revive but have never actually used it, so I won't say anything about that. However, clean water and a bit of aquarium salt can do wonders for a fish. Good luck with him! Keep us posted on his condition!
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #12 
Luimeril

those plastic strip thermometers aren't worth the money you pay for them. >3> i've seen them get stuck on a temp before. go to walmart, and get one of the $2 glass thermometers. much more accurate.

and, don't beat yourself up. you did really good, and took good care of him. you just didn't have a heater. surprisingly, despite being tropical fish, most people don't know bettas need heaters, and many pet store employees will tell you they "adjust to the temperature of the water, and do fine at room temp!". .__o
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #13 
c4talys7

That looks like pop eye. Let us know if it goes away!
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #14 
Zifoof

OK one question I have is about aquarium salt. I had never heard of freshwater fish needing salt until very recently, so this is a very new concept to me. Is it just regular sea salt that you use on your food, or is it special salt from the pet store? I would have grabbed some earlier but did not see the post about getting it until I got home >_<

Also, an update on Zifoof, it's been a few hours since I installed the heater, he seems to be in a very "good mood", he is slightly more active than normal, I don't think it's fully heated the water yet, I stuck my pinky in just a bit andit felt a little cool, but I'm not sure if it should be a bit cool or not, since our bodies are 98 degrees and what not. But in any case, he seems a great deal happier. Of course, his eye is still looking bad, but I will add the medecine i got in a day or so.

Again, I can't thank you wonderful people enough, thank you for being so patient with a novice like me!
Zifoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #15 
storrkopf

Hey, don't forgot me...

I have the same problem with my betha :)
Nb: it's my first fish...

Housing
What size is your tank? 23 litres, around 6 gallons

http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/addinfo/fluval_edge_discover.cfm
What temperature is your tank? 79F

Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Non
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No girlfriends, no friends lol

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 3 differents kinds of food… mini bloodworms (1/3 par week), Betta Bio-Gold (pellets) and Niutrafin max (flakes) (3 times par week of each, random)

How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times par day (8-10 pellets)…

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? One par week (every Saturday or Friday)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Each times when I changed the water…I used
Nutrafin Cycle, Nutrafin Waste Control and Nutrafin Aqua Plus Tap Water Conditioner (around 5-10 ml each)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I few minutes ago, i did a check up..there is no problem...

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: around 7,5
Hardness
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Notting only his left eye…
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Well, I don’t know…but, it looks down…

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Non, i don’t know what’s the problem…!!!!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Mmm non…this is the first time, this is why I freek a little…!!!

How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, i bought in september...
storrkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #16 
Zifoof

I just took some new photos of Zifoof, not that he has changed much, but just as an update.

As you can see, he's been building bubblenests the last few days, I'm not sure what this means, or if it is just normal.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #17 
Zifoof

another update, since putting the heater in, zifoof is going bubblenest CRAZY! He has two nests going and they are getting very large. Is this a good thing?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #18 
GreenTea

He could also just be blind in that eye, but if it has happened suddenly, then that's probably not the case.

STORRKOPF: That is way too much food you are feeding you betta!! Most bettas only need up to 4 pellets a day, 2 in the morning and two at night, (or some flakes in the morning and pellets at night) and bloodworms are supposed to be the occasional treat. I would imagine that this is why he is lethargic. He's super full all the time! They eat like pigs, I know, but they don't need that much food and it can affect their swim bladder and immune system if all they're doing all day is trying to digest. A large person eating all day won't want to do much but take naps and eat more, and neither does your betta probably. Try fasting him for 2-3 days and then drastically reducing the amount of food, keep him warm and his water clean, and let us know how he's doing!

Good luck to both of you.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #19 
GreenTea

And yes, generally speaking bubble nests are a good sign. It means your betta is feeling up to building a nest so they can mate, so the idea is that they're feeling strong and healthy. It's a good sign definitely.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #20 
Abby

thats pop eye for sure! and by the looks he may go blind in that eye
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, eye infection?, eyes