Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #21 
denaliwind

Yeah definitely popeye.
I'm happy to see he's building a bubble nest! That's a good sign, must be enjoying that warm water. :)

I recommend contacting OldFishLady via private message here on this forum asking her how she would treat popeye. Maybe a salt bath with epsom salt (so many types of salt!), but I don't really know for sure.

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-19-2011 at 01:05 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #22 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliwind View Post
I recommend contacting OldFishLady

-giggles-
we all send people to her hehe
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #23 
Zifoof

Yeah I was very happy to see he was being happy and active, to me (total novice) this is a sign he is FEELING healthy and content, despite his eye trouble. I will definitely contact her, and will also ask about the medicine I got, thank you guys!! I will keep you posted!
Zifoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #24 
Abby

i had Dastan with popeye and no idea on medicating him so i just upped his water changes and a week later hes fine.
(i posted an update thread a little while ago)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #25 
Shannon McBurger

Lightbulb Fungus

it looks like some sort of fungus, though i may not have had a betta, it looks exactly like my japenese moor's fungus, he got fungus on his eye, then it shrunk more and more every day untill it was gone, but he lived for a while after that, all you need is some fungal treatment and it'll get better.
Shannon McBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #26 
Oldfishlady

Without going through the 3 pages.....sorry if this was already said.....

One eye clouded is usually injury related that can get infected if not already....and with the added corydoras in a 2gal tank without proper water changes I suspect high nitrate too(sorry they died).....little on the cool side...but thats been addressed......

Since he is acting and eating his normal self....I would start by making daily water changes 50% for several days, get your water temp up to 76F and then stay on a every other day 50% for a week...then 50% twice weekly thereafter.....

Once you get the water cleaned up and at the proper temp...his eye should clear up...if not I would do-10 day treatment of Epsom salt 1tsp/gal for 2 days then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal on day 3-10..along with 100% water changes while in QT.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #27 
storrkopf

Thanks everybody, when i read yeasterday all the others posters.. i knew that i feed it to much...i begin reducing his food...
Today, i gave it only 6 pellets in the morning and see that he didn't eat much half of them and i'm not going to feed it until tomorrow....i will feed it like you told me...4 pellers, two in the morning and two in the night...
I see that i have a green water problem...i'"m thinking this is why his mood is down...and his have this sickesss :( too much food= lot of bad bacteria :(
thanks again...
p-s: I'm happy for Zifoof, hope that my "Jo"will be happy as you're...
storrkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #28 
GreenTea

STORRKOPF - fast him for a few days! They can live for over a week or longer with no food, it'll be good for him to digest it and get it all out. It can be good for them if they are sick, the body can focus on healing instead of using energy for digestion. My fish Brutus is a little fatty and would eat forever if I let him.

I have an unfiltered 2.5 gallon and I do 100% water changes every three days, I think you said your tank is filtered but I'd still be doing a 100% water change once a week. In a smaller tank like that, ammonia builds up quickly from not only the fishes urine and feces, but the natural ammonia they naturally secrete from their gills 24/7.

If your water is anywhere close to green it's totally filthy. Just keep his water super clean, fast him for 2 - 3 days, and maybe add aquarium salt for a few days. Aquarium salt naturally helps recover from diseases and helps them destress and is found in most pet stores and all fish stores. Do not use table salt! Epsom salt can be used to treat fish issues also, but I have never used it and can't speak to it...OldFishLady can though, and it looks like she posted her response and she can always help!

I hope this info helps and good luck with your guy!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #29 
storrkopf

Thanks, yesterday i changed his water and today i did it again ...
I will fast him for a few days and until there, i will chaged 50% of his water during 3 days...and i will see if some thing change...

p-s: novice question, every time, i changed his water did i need to put conditionners again (Nutrafin cycle, waste control, plus..) or only one time par week ...thanks :)
storrkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #30 
Oldfishlady

Always use dechlorinator with any new water you add to the fish.....the chlorine and chloramines can be harmful....the cycle and waste control products are not always needed.....less chemical additives the better IMO/E.......the only chemical needed with any new water will be the dechlorinator.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, eye infection?, eyes