Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #1 
calico kahlia

Exclamation very sick betta :(

hello, i am new to this site and the world of bettas. i recently adopted two male bettas, sirius (a crown tail) and bobby darin, from my best friend who went out of state...(well, sirius belongs to me but my friend took him in because she has more experience with betta fish and could take better care of him).

sirius has always seemed a bit off considering he seems to prefer floating toward the top of his bowl rather than stay at the bottom like bobby darin and other bettas i have seen. lately (in the past week) he has been acting different. about four days ago, i noticed his tummy looked bigger and he was acting sluggish, so i didn't feed him that day (monday). the next day, he didn't eat the few pellets i offered him. so i salted his water with sea salt and hoped perhaps that he just needed a day or two to recover from perhaps constipation or something...i don't pretend to know what's going on, that's why i joined this site. anyway, here are his symptoms:
-losing color, especially in fins (recent-past two days)
-hasn't eaten in five days (doesn't even try to eat)
-swimming erratically (bumping into plant and side of bowl, swimming backwards very twitchy-like)
-doesn't react to my voice anymore...he used to swim to me excitedly when i'd say his name :(
-he seems to have goldish growth on his face area, which i read could be velvet but i am unsure

i know i should have an aquarium for each of my fish, but i honestly can't afford them or keep up with them. i feel like an awful owner as well as naive, as i assumed in the past that betta were perfectly content in bowls. after reading so much on the site and others i realize that they are better off in aquariums.

i don't know what to do...can anyone recommend any suggestions/advice or what it sounds like he has and what i can do for him?? i bought him in the summer of 2009. he went to live with my friend in january of last year and was fine all this time. i just brought him and bobby darin into my home at the end of january this year and b.d. is fine, but sirius is just getting worse... :( please help, i don't want to lose him, he's such a great little fish.

-emily

(that's a hair on the bowl, by the way, not a scratch or anything like that on him...this was taken wednesday night, two days ago. his bottom fins have begun to whiten and he just looks terrible now. i'll try to post a current pic soon.)

Last edited by calico kahlia; 03-18-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: adding a picture
calico kahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems.....have some questions....

How big are the containers, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filters, live plants, additives used.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #3 
calico kahlia

thanks for getting back to my post,
-1 gallon bowls
-water changes-every couple of weeks
-room temperature water (around 75 degrees F)
-no filters
-artificial plants
-sea salt every other day...i don't know which additives/chemicals to use

i really need some help keeping these guys healthy. obviously i don't know what i'm doing :( :( :( poor fish! i am really worried about sirius...
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #4 
JackisLost

Bettas in that small of a tank need water changes every couple of days, not weeks. Having a heater will maintain his immune system. Do you add sea salt every day without changing the water out?
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #5 
denaliwind

Hey, welcome to the forums! I hope the members here can help you with your little guy.

I'm not an expert but I can at least make a few suggestions. Your water changes should be at least 100% per week with a 50% in between, a couple of weeks is way too long to go in between water changes. Are you using aquarium salt for freshwater or sea salt? There's a difference. Also salt doesn't evaporate, so it will stay in the tank and build up. You don't need to keep adding it every other day. In fact some people will say only to use salt when treating a fish, not for regular, permanent use. Anyway, good luck! :D

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-18-2011 at 11:45 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

No worries....for starters you need to increase the water changes.....right now I would do 50% daily for 2 days then 100%....then get on a regular schedule of 1-50% and 1-100% weekly....

Additives...if you are on city water supply you need a dechlorinator for the chlorine and chloramine....don't do any water changes unless you have this to make the water safe....

Make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water with water changes to prevent temp related shock and always use dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish.....

Your temp is fine at 75F......depending on your location....you may need to get heaters to keep a stable water temp in the 76-80F range....but if you are in the tropics and your temps don't go below 70F you should be fine....

I would stop the salt for now and just get the water quality improved with the water changes and see if this will perk them up...if not, I will give you direction on Epsom salt treatment......

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #7 
calico kahlia

thanks for the advice, everyone... sirius died last night :( :( :( he was almost 2 years old and was quite a happy fish before he got so sick.

if i decide to get a new betta i will heed all of the tips and advice i've read so far on this site. thanks again,
-emily
Old 03-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #8 
Schwarze1

sorry to hear about your loss :( but at least he was quite the happy chappy :) Best wishes for the next betta
Schwarze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #9 
calico kahlia

thanks! i did get a new little guy, cloud. i got an aquarium this time, so hopefully he will be happy and live a long, healthy life!! :D