Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #11 
Emmalea

The salt is really inexpensive, maybe a few dollars. So it wont totally break the bank, lol.

What size is his tank and how often do you change the water?
Even if his water looks clean it could still have lots of harmful stuff in it.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #12 
bettafreak33

He's in a 1 gallon (for now VERY temporary)And I change his water about once a week.I know that's WAY too little,but I just don't have time with schoolwork.
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #13 
Luimeril

once a week in a one gallon is too long. fin rot doesn't just pop up outta nowhere, something has to trigger it. in most cases, it's poor water quality. just because the water looks clear, doesn't mean it's safe. in a one gallon, ammonia builds up really fast, so water changes must be made at least daily, if you can't, then every other day. aquarium salt will put you back, maybe six bucks at the most, and it's fine to get it from walmart. i understand school work takes up alot of time, but it doesn't take but maybe 10 minutes, if not less, to cup the fish, dump the fish stuff into a strainer, rinse the tank out, rinse off the decor, replace the decor and gravel, fill the tank back up, set it back where it was, and float the fish for a while. i did it in 5 today.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #14 
Emmalea

That would most likely be what caused the finrot.
I'm sure you already know that with a tank that small you need to be changing the water at least every other day.

Now that he has fin rot you need to do daily 100% water changes if you want him to stand a chance of getting better.

I'm not trying to be rude but being busy is no excuse to not change his water.
Lots of people on here including me lead super busy lives and we still make the time to care for our fish.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #15 
bettafreak33

Guys chill okay.I have had to do advanced 7th grade math all week(Pi,Algebra all that fun stuff)and it has made me REALLY stressed.So this is not helping any.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #16 
bettafreak33

And all that math has kept me up until 10 at night ALL week.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #17 
Luimeril

i'm not trying to be mean. not at all. i'm just stating, fin rot doesn't come from nothing, and usually is from bad water quality, and that it doesn't take alot of time to change the water. i apologize if it came out as mean. i can also understand being stressed. lately, i haven't wanted to change my own tanks(shamefully), but i made myself do it, after seeing Caroline, my desk betta, acting mopey. since i changed her water today, she's perked up alot, and has been exploring for hours.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #18 
bettafreak33

I went ahead and put him in a bowl with the bettafix and suprisingly he has perked up and seems to be doing great.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #19 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafreak33 View Post
Guys chill okay.I have had to do advanced 7th grade math all week(Pi,Algebra all that fun stuff)and it has made me REALLY stressed.So this is not helping any.
You know what? Some times you need to put your pets needs before your own. You may be stressed out from school, but think about the ammonia in your tank stressing out your fish and making him ill.

When you get a pet you are making a commitment to care for it and keep it healthy and happy. I'm sorry but you haven't been doing this, your fish is sick because of you and now it's up to you to help him get better.

You said you re getting a puppy? do you know how much work they are? It will make your fish seem like a piece of cake.

I know you are young and I know school can be tough but it's still not an excuse.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #20 
Emmalea

Bettafix can damage the labyrinth organ, which is how bettas breath. I would remove him from the Bettafix right away.