Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #41 
turtle10
Member
 
turtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i've had dogs all my life. that's going on 24 years of dogs. only TWO have EVER been 100% outside dogs. the first, was a chow/german shepard mix named Bear. and, it honestly was HIS choice. o.o he was outside for a day while mom had company over, and he loved it and refused to come inside. we gave him water 2 to 3 times a day, more if it was hot, and he got hay, blankets, and pillows when it was cold out.

the other, was a Sheltie named Beu. but, he, like Bear, chose to be outside, and got pampered just like Bear did. both had interactions with humans constantly, though, and were not outside because of their mess.

thanks, Turtle, for speaking up. was i, in any way, rude? o.o
You definitely were not rude. About the outside thing, some dogs just prefer it lol. Bear reminds me of my dog that also prefers the outdoors, but of course she is not a puppy. She is my four year old lab Winnie and she just won't come in! She loves the outdoors and laying in the sun, so she usually only comes in around lunch time and dinner, and then for bed. She has her own couch :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #42 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
You definitely were not rude. About the outside thing, some dogs just prefer it lol. Bear reminds me of my dog that also prefers the outdoors, but of course she is not a puppy. She is my four year old lab Winnie and she just won't come in! She loves the outdoors and laying in the sun, so she usually only comes in around lunch time and dinner, and then for bed. She has her own couch :)
Bear wouldn't even let a whisker in the door! he flat-out refused to come in. he was full-grown, though. passed away years ago. he was 11, and we're guessing the heat was just too much for his old bones. despite him having plenty of shade, and cold water all day long(we'd go out to give him new water every hour. it was a bad hot spell), he passed.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #43 
turtle10
Member
 
turtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalea View Post
I know, I've seen first hand what dogs who don't have a good "puppyhood" are like. My girl was a stray as a puppy and she is really odd, I love her dearly but a lot of people wouldn't.

People who don't want to clean up puppy mess shouldn't get puppys.
You can always tell when a dog wasn't interacted with during puppyhood. They have that odd vibe. My older lab Camilla wasn't really socialized as a pup and she is incredibly emotional. While at times it can be cute, it definitely brings to light how she was raised. She will cry and like scream sometimes out of emotion. It just leads to a lot of behavior problems, which often times means once the dog is too big too handle it goes to the shelter :(

It can be really expensive, but training classes and things like that are SO worth it. Not just because you and your dog will learn all sorts of things like leash walking, sitting, potty training, etc, but because your dog will be socialized to people and other dogs. I totally believed socialization is the key to a happy dog. Winnie my other lab actually had training and a good puppy hood, and you can totally tell she is more stable than Camilla and Apple, who had no training or socialization when raised.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
Bear wouldn't even let a whisker in the door! he flat-out refused to come in. he was full-grown, though. passed away years ago. he was 11, and we're guessing the heat was just too much for his old bones. despite him having plenty of shade, and cold water all day long(we'd go out to give him new water every hour. it was a bad hot spell), he passed.
I'm so sorry, it was probably his time. He chose to be outside, so I am sure that is where he wanted to pass. I am sad he passed, but he lived a full life. Passings of older pets can be bittersweet because you miss them so much but you are happy they lived a long, happy life.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #44 
TheCrysCat
Member
 
TheCrysCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Hey, I totally understand being caught up in school work. I'm in honors classes now, and in seventh grade I was in advanced classes too. Next year, the only non-honors or AP class I'm taking is Orchestra, and that's a guaranteed half an hour or so every other day of practice. My math class is actually working on pi right now too, although prolly a little more advanced than what you're doing. I have at least an hour and a half to two hours each night of homework, and most of the time I have to rest for an hour in order to function and be able to do that homework. I have to keep my grades up in order to get scholarships because my family is not incredibly rich and I want to be able to go to University for four years, if not more. Education is way up there in my priorities.

But a pet, whether it's a puppy or a fish, is also a responsibility. It's not about something being more important than another. You have that pet knowing that it's a living thing that cannot take care of itself, so you're the one who has to do it. No, I don't enjoy having to haul heavy 2.5 gallon tanks down the stairs in order to dump the water out so that I can scrub them and rinse gravel, then carry it all back up and lift it onto a shelf. But I do it anyway, because I got these fish knowing that they were solely my responsibility, and whether they thrived or not was entirely based on me. To me, the reward is knowing that I am capable of taking care of other lives, and getting to see beautiful fish that are so happy and pretty because of me. If you are incapable of taking care of that fish, or just don't feel like it because of everything you've got going on (which I can totally relate to) then you should give it to someone who can, or arrange for a parent's help.

That being said, no one here has been mean to you, and you were the one that asked for help in the first place. I'm sorry their answers have not been to your satisfaction, but choosing to hit "ignore" on people who are trying to help your pet and have way more expirience with it than you do is just uncalled for.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #45 
turtle10
Member
 
turtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Wow, TheCrysCat, that was perfect, I couldn't have said it better. I totally agree with you.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #46 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
it was hard, cause i grew up with Bear. mom tells me stories about my life as an infant with the big guy. he'd let me ride on his back like a pony when i was little. since he passed, mom refuses to get a big dog. nothing bigger than our Pekingese for her.

as for not having enough time to do water changes, my brother is smart. he's in those smart classes, but he goes to school online. he's always busy with projects and homework and research(both assigned, and his own. he wants to work on computers. :d), but he still does religious water changes on his two bettas. his Delta/Halfmoon is a chronic tail biter(way worse than my delta. to the point where, we don't know his tail type 100%). i've known people way busier than me, or my brother, who still do water changes when they need to be made. you just gotta assign 10 minutes to doing it daily, since the OP's fish is in a one gallon or so.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #47 
TheCrysCat
Member
 
TheCrysCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Wow, TheCrysCat, that was perfect, I couldn't have said it better. I totally agree with you.
Thank you. I was worried it was too much of a great block of text :P Anyway, part of the reason I got betta fish in the first place was to prove to myself that I could do it, because my mother has always taken care of everything. These fishly are solely mine, and I couldn't be prouder.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #48 
turtle10
Member
 
turtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
it was hard, cause i grew up with Bear. mom tells me stories about my life as an infant with the big guy. he'd let me ride on his back like a pony when i was little. since he passed, mom refuses to get a big dog. nothing bigger than our Pekingese for her.

as for not having enough time to do water changes, my brother is smart. he's in those smart classes, but he goes to school online. he's always busy with projects and homework and research(both assigned, and his own. he wants to work on computers. :d), but he still does religious water changes on his two bettas. his Delta/Halfmoon is a chronic tail biter(way worse than my delta. to the point where, we don't know his tail type 100%). i've known people way busier than me, or my brother, who still do water changes when they need to be made. you just gotta assign 10 minutes to doing it daily, since the OP's fish is in a one gallon or so.
I agree. I just don't believe they don't have ten minutes to spare. If you are going to have an animal, you need to be doing the proper maintenance regardless of your schedule. If you are really that busy, set an alarm to wake up 20 minutes earlier, or stay up 20 minutes later.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrysCat View Post
Thank you. I was worried it was too much of a great block of text :P Anyway, part of the reason I got betta fish in the first place was to prove to myself that I could do it, because my mother has always taken care of everything. These fishly are solely mine, and I couldn't be prouder.
I am proud of my fish too. It feels so good to know that I am providing a good, safe life for my fish. Because with fish we basically play god, so it is up to us whether they live, suffer, or die.

Last edited by turtle10; 03-18-2011 at 11:48 PM.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #49 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
speaking of, i gotta change Lulu's and Theo's water before i head to bed(note: it's 15 minutes till one AM where i am).

having 7 bettas is a handful, but water changes is something i enjoy. yes, i often get splashed with dirty fish water, and sometimes i stress them out when i gotta fight them to get them in the cup, but i LOVE how happy they are after they get released into the clean water. take Caroline, for example. she was a tad mopey today. true, i've been a tad slack about water changes, but i recently found out a Japanese friend of mine died in the Tsunami last week. i wasn't even taking care of MYSELF after learning that(he and i were extremely close, so his death rocked me to my core. that whole day, i stayed in my room crying). but, when i saw Caroline acting the way she was, just laying there, looking at me with her big blue eyes, fins clamped, but still swimming eagerly to me and wiggling when she saw me, i realized i HAD to change her water. i felt HORRIBLE about neglecting my babies this past week. i cupped her in the biggest betta cup i had, scrubbed her tank and rocks, re-arranged her plants around to make things more exciting, and gave her the fish toy i have(a cute glass dolphin attacked to a glass bubble by a string. they push it around, flare at it, poke at it). she was super excited about the water change, so i released her a little earlier than i normally do. she's been YET to lay down, but i did catch her snuggled in her Java moss. <3 i wish i could have taken a picture!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #50 
TheCrysCat
Member
 
TheCrysCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I am so sorry about your friend :(
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible Finrot? Kethlas Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 5 02-09-2011 09:12 AM
Is this finrot? baylee767 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 7 11-26-2010 10:03 PM
ich, finrot??? reptileboy Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 08-26-2010 07:45 PM
Is this finrot? Help please! Ralphieee Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 1 09-27-2009 11:54 PM
Finrot?! Maryrox247 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 08-11-2009 12:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.