Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #1 
lilchiwolf

Question I has a bump on my fin!

My new Dragon Delta has a bump on his dorsal fin. Its slightly red around the area too. I did not notice it yesterday when I picked hm up from the store.

I had him loos in the tank yesterday to see how he went. He really did have a hard time and stayed at the bottom most and was breathing really ard with some little twitches (maybe gill bugs?).

So I took him out and floated him in the cup with some salt and 2 drops of Stress Coat so he could relax. This morning he looked much better so I released him and he seems to be doing ok. He is flaring at his neighbor and exploring. Breathing is a little quick still, but I know he is also putting in a lot of energy to swim around. I am still seeing a little twitching too.

I just put him back in his cup with new water and some Quick Cure too see if that will help his gills. I can tell he is a little stressed.

What he is housed in:

A single split 10gal with some live plants.
Temp 80`F
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Hardness 150 (I have hard water here :/)
Alkallinity 180

Any help would be wonderful. My white HM that I had to put down was kinda like this. I really don't want to lose this little guy.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #2 
lilchiwolf

BUMP!

OFL I need your help! :)

Here are some pics...
Attached Images

Last edited by lilchiwolf; 03-19-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What a lovely fella you found.....parasite or lymphocystis.....I would get him QT so you don't infect the whole tank......if it is lymphocystis (viral) it has to run it course...but look it up and see if it fits....external parasite...its hard for me to tell by the pic..but you may be able to manually remove it or use a parasite med...I can't recommend anything since I don't use it...but if anything...what I would use is aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% water changes....watch the area for changes and any changes in his behavior.....when you acclimated him did you acclimate to both temp and chemistry...by slowly adding tank water to his water over 20-30 min......

Try to get a clear pic of it with him flaring so I can see it better if you can....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #4 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What a lovely fella you found.....parasite or lymphocystis.....I would get him QT so you don't infect the whole tank......if it is lymphocystis (viral) it has to run it course...but look it up and see if it fits....external parasite...its hard for me to tell by the pic..but you may be able to manually remove it or use a parasite med...I can't recommend anything since I don't use it...but if anything...what I would use is aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% water changes....watch the area for changes and any changes in his behavior.....when you acclimated him did you acclimate to both temp and chemistry...by slowly adding tank water to his water over 20-30 min......

Try to get a clear pic of it with him flaring so I can see it better if you can....
Yes, I floated him for 15min then slowly added my own water mix with his for another 10min.

He is much more perky now that he is in meded cup water. I will keep up with his cup water changes and update how that goes. Since he is in a cup should I change water in the morning and at night, or just once a day? I don't need him overwhelmed with ammonia.

This Quick Cure is pretty powerful stuff. I have heard great stories of it. You just really have to watch the dosage cause its so strong. I made a gallon pre mix and did half and half in the cup water along with the aquarium salt.

When is comes to gill parasites how long do they usually tank to go away? I will do my best to get a pic of him flaring. Any suggestions on his bump spot? Could it be a tumor?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #5 
lilchiwolf

Here are some shots of him flaring. I also did a short video that I will post ASAP!

I had to toss a female in to get him to flare. BTW...he wont eat at all either.

UPDATE: VIDEO POSTED http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wfBHdoNKh0
Attached Images

Last edited by lilchiwolf; 03-19-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #6 
lilchiwolf

one more bump
Old 03-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Research Lymphocystis and see if the pics looks like what he has on him....not a lot you can do about it and it is usually not fatal unless it grows to the point that it impedes swimming......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #8 
lilchiwolf

Well I am sad to say that I came home to him dead. His gills were all puffed out and his belly was black. I really don't know what went wrong :/