Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #1 
laughing

Does anyone here have shrimp?

I don't know where this really goes, but I think because they help clean up the tanks, they count as "care"??

I'm wanting to get some shrimp because they're bottom feeders. I don't have bettas *yet* but do have a 20 gallon with other fish and would like to try shrimp out because if I like them I will get a couple for my bettas!

Anyways, do they breed rapidly, or at all, in your tropical tank? Or do they require something special to? What kind of shrimp do you like better?

I found this GREAT store today that is a pet store but specializes in fish, it's AMAZING. They have a bunch of different kinds of shrimp, especially the ghost shrimps, cherries, blueberries, etc. I didn't really look at 'em!

Sooo...?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #2 
JackisLost

I have red cherry shrimp in my betta tank. Just put them in yesterday and they are doing well from what I can see. Two of the female shrimp are carrying eggs. At first my betta swam up to them and tried to bite them, now he just looks at them and swim around. He's not showing any aggression and no shrimp are missing arms and legs, all is well.

From what I read, red cherry and yellow shrimp breed well in tropical tanks. The blue tigers and such need special conditions to breed
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #3 
Malvolti

I have ghost and crystal shrimp. My Bettas ignore them too.

They mate about once a month but as of yet no babies have survived. Them mating isn't a problem since they usually only live a few months to a year naturally.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #4 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
They mate about once a month but as of yet no babies have survived. Them mating isn't a problem since they usually only live a few months to a year naturally.
Really?

Have they kept your bettas tank cleaned so far? My future bettas will have a filter and have live plants, but not fully planted, just maybe 3-5 plants in there depending on the size, so I was hoping for something to eat the flakes that fall down from them so I wouldn't have to do a bunch of water changes.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #5 
scootshoot

I have around 8+ ghost shrimp in my 14. They are fine scavengers. I have seen mine eat fish poo.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Shrimp can help clean up uneaten food and so will live plants...fish food is a pretty good plant food, however, regardless of adding shrimp and a few live plants weekly water changes will still be needed even on a 20gal tank....plants will help but because it is a closed system you will have a build up of organics that have to be removed manually...especially in tank that have just a few plants and high to mod bioload.......heavy planted tanks with lots of stem and floating plants can go a bit longer without water changes based on stocking levels.......

Depending on the species and number of live plants they may or may not be able to keep up with the organics and nitrate....both of which are big killers of shrimp and zap the immune response of the fish...although, the fish will tolerate this build up and live....make a big water changes or add new fish and most likely the tank will crash.......as a tank ages without proper water changes the natural decomp can cause the water to become more acid and lowering the pH.....make that big change and bam.....pH shock along with the sudden drop of nitrate and organic....all the fish either get sick or die......

In the right conditions shrimp will reproduce fairly fast-but be careful with the hang on the back and canister type filters....often this is where all the baby shrimp will go...some live but most may die.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #7 
laughing

So what type of filter should I use?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #8 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
So what type of filter should I use?
A sponge filter.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote