Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #1 
Abby

Dissapointed again....

ok so i wasnt happy with one of my petstores method of housing their bettas they had them in these:

these hold MAYBE half a liter (erm 0.13 ish gal)
they told me they change water once a week..
TODAY i went in and they were in TINY DAMN CUPS less then 200 ml (0.05 gal)the cups look a LITTLE LIKE THIS:

But not as tall. and lids.
the fish are only maybe 4 months old and they can BARELY turn around
i told the lady who showed me (ive been bugging her for new shipments of lady cts)
i almost snapped at her. i was all over the whole
THIS IS TOO SMALL WHY?
(her answer) they stressed each other out in the bigger cntainers
me: THEY CANT NOW CAUSE THEY CANT EVEN TURN AROUND!

she was like "oh in the wild they live in smaller water"
me: "WILD YES PET NO they need MORE ROOM!"
oh i almost got asked to leave O.O
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 
Abby

first pic mising here it is:
Old 03-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #3 
nochoramet

It's crazy how small of containers they put them in at the petstores. But you might have handled that situation better (please don't think I'm saying that in a rude way!) if you think about it, it's a lot easier for the pet store to keep the fish that can't live with another fish in small containers rather than a huge tank a piece. I'm not saying it's right, but just think about it from a business standpoint.
And if you want to educate people, just keep in mind the "honey attracts more flies than vinegar" if you are nice about it and inform them the correct way rather than just getting upset it works a lot better. I've made many a betta convert via the friendly informing rather than getting worked up. I'm not trying to sound rude, but maybe try that next time?

Last edited by nochoramet; 03-18-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #4 
nochoramet

Oh, and in the wild they don't live in small waters either. Shallow, yes. But in hundreds of gallons horizontal space.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #5 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochoramet View Post
It's crazy how small of containers they put them in at the petstores. But you might have handled that situation better (please don't think I'm saying that in a rude way!) if you think about it, it's a lot easier for the pet store to keep the fish that can't live with another fish in small containers rather than a huge tank a piece. I'm not saying it's right, but just think about it from a business standpoint.
And if you want to educate people, just keep in mind the "honey attracts more flies than vinegar" if you are nice about it and inform them the correct way rather than just getting upset it works a lot better. I've made many a betta convert via the friendly informing rather than getting worked up. I'm not trying to sound rude, but maybe try that next time?

they have a beautiful 24 bay fighter display tank standing EMPTY bar a few plants.
i was very polite about it no shouting but she could tell i wasnt at all happy lol
Old 03-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #6 
Luimeril

my lps has small cups, but they're cleaned daily. shoot, the bettas stay so healthy, they're never in those cups for more than a few days! :d i'll have to get a pic of the cup, if i get a new boy tomorrow.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #7 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
my lps has small cups, but they're cleaned daily. shoot, the bettas stay so healthy, they're never in those cups for more than a few days! :d i'll have to get a pic of the cup, if i get a new boy tomorrow.

thats the thing a lot of their fish are there for like a month and they were only cleaning the Chinese containers once a week
Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #8 
Luimeril

ew. .___o i swear, after my complaint and getting Zi for free, they stepped up big time in their fish care, 100%. i used to walk in and see dead fish, now i'm lucky to see a dead one. their goldies used to be horrid, now they're pretty and clean. Zi's cup had fuzzy mold-stuff in it, now, i'm lucky if i see an uneaten pellet in the betta cups!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #9 
CrowntailxKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
ew. .___o i swear, after my complaint and getting Zi for free, they stepped up big time in their fish care, 100%. i used to walk in and see dead fish, now i'm lucky to see a dead one. their goldies used to be horrid, now they're pretty and clean. Zi's cup had fuzzy mold-stuff in it, now, i'm lucky if i see an uneaten pellet in the betta cups!
How did you pull getting your Betta for free? I just want in on the tips ;)
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #10 
Luimeril

i promised cup pics, well here they are! this is Ichi, my new boy, still in his cup. used my Pokemon game case as ref to how small they are, and showed him from the side, so you can see he has room. :d

as for getting free fish, i honestly don't know. o.o i was just complaining about the mold in his cup. >.> complaining loudly about all the sick and dead fish probably didn't help any. xd