Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #11 
LolaQuigs

As Luimeril suggested, definitely get some conditioner and do a water change before doing anything drastic. Tap water contains chlorine, which can be very harmful to fish; the conditioner will remove chlorine and other harmful elements from the tap water.

When you say the temperature was good last time you checked, what was it exactly?

Do you have a filter? In an unfiltered two gallon, I'd do two or three water changes per week (one or two 50% changes and one 100%). If it is filtered I would recommend two 50% water changes per week. Ammonia builds up quickly and can make fish sick, eventually killing them. Clean water is the best preventative for disease!

Good luck; I hope you get him feeling better!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #12 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotaflint33 View Post
He also has a lot of white on his underside right now. I'm seriously debating if he needs to be frozen.
Please don't freeze him!
It is very painful for fish to be frozen, they can feel themselves freezing to death.
It is not the nice painless way to go that people think it is.

I wouldn't think about putting him down just yet as there is a chance he will do better once he gets into some good water.

But if you do decide it's his time to go you should lookup methods for fish euthanize, I've prefer clove oil but decapitation and destruction of the brain are also options.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #13 
FishyPieces

White stuff? I bet it's growing all over his body now, isn't it?
I use spring water, like everyone said, the water you are using isn't good for him.
My brother lost two fish to that white stuff, I am not sure how to fix it. And does he swim very weird and kinda of floats? It might be his swim bladder. (Don't remember the name of it, damn it.) It is from over feeding, and he can heal himself from that if treated right.
I'm not a Betta pro, sorry. I hope your Betta gets better!!!
FishyPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #14 
LolaQuigs

Is the white fuzzy, or is it just that he's losing color?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #15 
spotaflint33

It looks like he is loosing color along his underside. I am going to get him some chemicals to fix the water issue, and he doesn't look worse. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with him and trying to help him get better. I'm hoping that cleaning his water out will fix the issue.
spotaflint33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #16 
Luimeril

just do daily water changes, and if you don't have a heater, get one. i'm sure he'll perk up once he feels better. :3 clean, warm water usually works to perk up lethargic fish.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #17 
turtle10

I am sure he is just sick because of his current conditions. Once he gets clean dechlorinated water and is in 76-80 degree water he should be fine. Just keep up with the water changes.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #18 
livismom

I brought a betta home 2 weeks ago, he ate the first day just fine. I moved him into a 5 gallon a few days later and he is soo sick. Hasn't eaten once, can barely swim, lays on his side and has lost all of his color. I moved him into a small critter keeper so it would be easier to do water changes. Every time I think about giving up, I just can't. He has fought this long. As long as there is hope, I will do every thing I can. I broke down and bought betta fix. We are on day 2 and he was kind of swimming this morning. I don't know if he will pull through, but I am so glad I didn't give up. I don't think you should either. Good luck
livismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #19 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by livismom View Post
I brought a betta home 2 weeks ago, he ate the first day just fine. I moved him into a 5 gallon a few days later and he is soo sick. Hasn't eaten once, can barely swim, lays on his side and has lost all of his color. I moved him into a small critter keeper so it would be easier to do water changes. Every time I think about giving up, I just can't. He has fought this long. As long as there is hope, I will do every thing I can. I broke down and bought betta fix. We are on day 2 and he was kind of swimming this morning. I don't know if he will pull through, but I am so glad I didn't give up. I don't think you should either. Good luck
Just FYI, bettafix is a watered down version of melafix, which harms their Labryinth Organ. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #20 
Luimeril

return the betta fix, just get water conditioner and aquarium salt. it'll worrk just as fine, and won't harm your betta.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote