Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #21 
1fish2fish

I have to constantly remind myself that the majority of the members here are young.

Look. This is a big mean nasty world. If your gonna get upset over some random person on the internet maybe you shouldn't be logging on.

This is THE nicest fish forum your going to find, believe me. Lately I've seen a lot of newbies getting upset and calling foul when they're just being given information. Just because we don't hold your hand and sugar coat everything doesn't make us bad or mean.

And just because you've had this or this happen when keeping fish doesn't mean it's right. I had a VT that lived 3 years in an unheated 1 gallon bowl with weekly water changes... just because he lived that long does it make it right that I did so? Anecdotal evidence means nothing if there is cold hard facts disputing it (a prime example being the neon tetras).

Now if the above post seems harsh or mean I'm sorry. I'm not one to sugar coat, I am direct, I call things like I see them. A lot of members here are similar... maybe if y'all stuck around longer than a month you'd learn that. It doesn't mean we are not nice people and it doesn't mean we hate you and want you to leave.... quite to the contrary. I'm actually a very nice person but I'm not fake and I will not beat around the bush and say "oh your tank is lovely but um.. if it's not too much of an inconvenience.. um.. maybe you might possibly consider um.. ". To really know a forum you have to stick around longer than just a few weeks.

In closing I just want to say... people are not obligated to be nice to you. That's just the sad truth. Same thing applies to the internet. I would hope that everyone on this forum showed respect for each other.. but that doesn't mean we all have to agree.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #22 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Look. This is a big mean nasty world. If your gonna get upset over some random person on the internet maybe you shouldn't be logging on.

Now if the above post seems harsh or mean I'm sorry. I'm not one to sugar coat, I am direct, I call things like I see them. A lot of members here are similar... maybe if y'all stuck around longer than a month you'd learn that. It doesn't mean we are not nice people and it doesn't mean we hate you and want you to leave.... quite to the contrary. I'm actually a very nice person but I'm not fake and I will not beat around the bush and say "oh your tank is lovely but um.. if it's not too much of an inconvenience.. um.. maybe you might possibly consider um.. ". To really know a forum you have to stick around longer than just a few weeks.
I'm not upset completely. Really I wanted one question answered but got both a wrong answer and advice I didn't ask for. Not that I don't appreciate the extra advice, but by the way I read the responses, it sounded quite smart-aleck(sp?) and just... up-front harsh. "I'm sorry I don't have this, but if I switched some things around it'd be better for all the fish." And yet I still get smart responses.
Like another user said, maybe it's just the way I read them. But like another said, the more members there are, the fewer people there are who will actually think about the person's feelings and try to start the conversation lightly.

And I didn't quit the site. I've been on here longer than a month. I don't think anyone's deliberately trying to make me or any of the others leave.
This just wasn't the stress-reliever I needed when I get back after a week of being unplugged. The way a person feels reflects on how well they take care of their fish. Lately work is having me do way more hours despite others who want more hours, and the need to train myself before I get into the military isn't getting met. Fish are my stress reliever. And they're all I have. (And Samm.) I want nothing for the best for them, and I'll do the best I can for them with what I have and can afford to get with each paycheck.

And I'll never ask a person to be fake. But is it really that hard to try to type the way you really want to say it? ALL CAPS-ING some words often comes across as yelling.
Yelling doesn't come across as paying a little respect.

... And geez, I should have never gone to that Psychology class. |D
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #23 
1fish2fish

I didn't actually mean you.. I meant a general "you" (should have specified).

I agree that all caps is generally interwebz speak for yelling that's why generally I try not to do it, although sometimes I do it and don't realize I've done it. When I do it's USUALLY for EMPHASIS not to yell. Others I don't know... I do agree that some people use way to many caps.

I always post exactly how something would come out of my mouth (with less cursing since this is polite company XD).

I dunno... I don't sweat the small stuff.. nothing someone can say to me on the internet can stress me out or make me loose sleep. But then again I'm on some forums that make this one seem like rainbows and sunshine.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #24 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
Yes, but howling at a user for not doing his/her research does nothing to help the present situation. They already HAVE the cories. There's not much to be done about it that being nasty will fix.
I don't think I was ever nasty.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #25 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
I didn't actually mean you.. I meant a general "you" (should have specified).

I agree that all caps is generally interwebz speak for yelling that's why generally I try not to do it, although sometimes I do it and don't realize I've done it. When I do it's USUALLY for EMPHASIS not to yell. Others I don't know... I do agree that some people use way to many caps.

I always post exactly how something would come out of my mouth (with less cursing since this is polite company XD).

I dunno... I don't sweat the small stuff.. nothing someone can say to me on the internet can stress me out or make me loose sleep. But then again I'm on some forums that make this one seem like rainbows and sunshine.
Rainbows and sunshine... Yeah, compared to a ton of forums I've just browsed, that's really true.

I knew you weren't saying a direct "you", but I had the urge to say something. :P
And HA! at the non-cursing... agreed on that. xD
Old 03-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #26 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
I don't think I was ever nasty.
I didn't say you were, just some people are.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #27 
turtle10

Oh. Yes I have seen some pretty uncalled for comments since I have joined in December.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #28 
BettaHeart

Quote:
i have to constantly remind myself that the majority of the members here are young.

This is the nicest fish forum your going to find, believe me. Lately i've seen a lot of newbies getting upset and calling foul when they're just being given information. Just because we don't hold your hand and sugar coat everything doesn't make us bad or mean.

And just because you've had this or this happen when keeping fish doesn't mean it's right. I had a vt that lived 3 years in an unheated 1 gallon bowl with weekly water changes... Just because he lived that long does it make it right that i did so? Anecdotal evidence means nothing if there is cold hard facts disputing it (a prime example being the neon tetras).

Now if the above post seems harsh or mean i'm sorry. I'm not one to sugar coat, i am direct, i call things like i see them. A lot of members here are similar... Maybe if y'all stuck around longer than a month you'd learn that. It doesn't mean we are not nice people and it doesn't mean we hate you and want you to leave.... Quite to the contrary. I'm actually a very nice person but i'm not fake and i will not beat around the bush and say "oh your tank is lovely but um.. If it's not too much of an inconvenience.. Um.. Maybe you might possibly consider um.. ". To really know a forum you have to stick around longer than just a few weeks.

In closing i just want to say... People are not obligated to be nice to you. That's just the sad truth. Same thing applies to the internet. I would hope that everyone on this forum showed respect for each other.. But that doesn't mean we all have to agree.

+1
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #29 
freakumDRESS

Tell 'em how you feel, girl. Some people here really have been sipping too much haterade. MmmmmmmmHMMmm.
freakumDRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #30 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakumDRESS View Post
Tell 'em how you feel, girl. Some people here really have been sipping too much haterade. MmmmmmmmHMMmm.
I fell out of my chair laughing at this comment. Thank you. xD