Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #41 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad we're kind of clearing the air about this. I would hate for anyone to leave because they got their feelings hurt. I agree that this is one of the friendliest forums out there. And I'm not just saying this because I'm a mod. :) Those of you who may be thinking of leaving, I hope you'll reconsider. I value all our members.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #42 
tokala

I am new to this site and it has been pretty helpful and friendly so far! I am an experience pet owner, and have 4 years of vet school under my belt until I changed my mind haha. But fish were a very foreign world/language to me and I am soooo grateful for all the help I have received so far (and in a friendly manner may I add!) From this forum. So thank you all!

I have also noticed there are a lot of young members here. From my experience, parents like to get fish for their children as starter pets. Whether you think that is right or not, it's the reality. I applaude the young ones for finding this site and doing more research, because the way their parents or the pet stores tell them to do things is not always right. Is it fair to the fish? Nope, not at all. However, it is what it is. This site, for some, IS their method of research. Even if you think they should have done more before they bought their pet (and in a perfect world, yes they should have), at least they are doing it now and can better the lives of their pets. I hope all of you who know more then a newbie are still kind in educating them as you have been to me. We all make mistakes even when our hearts are in the right place. It isn't an excuse for mediocrity but rather just reality. We owe it to each other to encourage, educate and help one another to fix any wrong doings. If ANYONE has searched out this site, they obviously care about their betta a little more than the next guy :)
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #43 
PewPewPew

Heh...Go out to Tropical fish keeping and sites like that. They'll give you blunt, hard, and often not the nicest answers to your questions. Dont get me wrong, I like that and others sites, but they have no obligation to be nice to you.
Youre doing it wrong? Hes how to fix it. Cant/wont? Then go away, why did you even bother to ask?

Lots of B'awwwing latley and "OMG soandso, I agree with you theyre mean to me too! My .5gallon tank that I change every other month is GREAT but they just dont understand! Everyone's so mean B'awwwwwwwahh"

I think other people trying to relate to others, even when they have completely different problems, is whats causing all these "hurt feelings" (It pains me to say this. B'awww its the internet.) New members who just plain refuse to listen or take the advice they ask for are backing other members with other issues and its becoming a big fest of whining. Why come here if you're not going to listen to the answers people give you? Dont waste our time.

If youre asking for advice, then take it. If youre not and something is wrong, then listen. At least do your best to fix the issue. This is the internet, and even if youre not looking for help, if its not right, someone is going to correct you. Dont cry about it.

Im not directing this at anyone in particular, btw, before anyone starts getting angry about it.

Ive had a bunch of people lately telling me how "awful of a person I must be" when I answered their questions with accurate, helpful advice. Believe me, Im not being mean, you're just being sensitive. They'd warn or ban me if I was.

Just because it isnt what you want to hear, that doesnt mean it isnt right.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #44 
GienahClarette

This is pretty much the friendliest forum I've ever been on. The newbies are more willing to take advise, and the more established members are the most patient I've seen in a long, long time. Aside from a few choice trolls, there isn't even much of a reason for anyone to raise their hackles. They're even pretty easy to ignore.

I'm not really seeing too much unnecessary rudeness, bro.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #45 
BettaHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Heh...Go out to Tropical fish keeping and sites like that. They'll give you blunt, hard, and often not the nicest answers to your questions. Dont get me wrong, I like that and others sites, but they have no obligation to be nice to you.
Youre doing it wrong? Hes how to fix it. Cant/wont? Then go away, why did you even bother to ask?

Lots of B'awwwing latley and "OMG soandso, I agree with you theyre mean to me too! My .5gallon tank that I change every other month is GREAT but they just dont understand! Everyone's so mean B'awwwwwwwahh"

I think other people trying to relate to others, even when they have completely different problems, is whats causing all these "hurt feelings" (It pains me to say this. B'awww its the internet.) New members who just plain refuse to listen or take the advice they ask for are backing other members with other issues and its becoming a big fest of whining. Why come here if you're not going to listen to the answers people give you? Dont waste our time.

If youre asking for advice, then take it. If youre not and something is wrong, then listen. At least do your best to fix the issue. This is the internet, and even if youre not looking for help, if its not right, someone is going to correct you. Dont cry about it.

Im not directing this at anyone in particular, btw, before anyone starts getting angry about it.

Ive had a bunch of people lately telling me how "awful of a person I must be" when I answered their questions with accurate, helpful advice. Believe me, Im not being mean, you're just being sensitive. They'd warn or ban me if I was.

Just because it isnt what you want to hear, that doesnt mean it isnt right.

I love this site and most of the members here for the advice and the very friendly atmosphere they create, Im proud to be a member

Last edited by BettaHeart; 03-21-2011 at 12:23 PM.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #46 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I have to constantly remind myself that the majority of the members here are young.

Look. This is a big mean nasty world. If your gonna get upset over some random person on the internet maybe you shouldn't be logging on.

This is THE nicest fish forum your going to find, believe me. Lately I've seen a lot of newbies getting upset and calling foul when they're just being given information. Just because we don't hold your hand and sugar coat everything doesn't make us bad or mean.

And just because you've had this or this happen when keeping fish doesn't mean it's right. I had a VT that lived 3 years in an unheated 1 gallon bowl with weekly water changes... just because he lived that long does it make it right that I did so? Anecdotal evidence means nothing if there is cold hard facts disputing it (a prime example being the neon tetras).

Now if the above post seems harsh or mean I'm sorry. I'm not one to sugar coat, I am direct, I call things like I see them. A lot of members here are similar... maybe if y'all stuck around longer than a month you'd learn that. It doesn't mean we are not nice people and it doesn't mean we hate you and want you to leave.... quite to the contrary. I'm actually a very nice person but I'm not fake and I will not beat around the bush and say "oh your tank is lovely but um.. if it's not too much of an inconvenience.. um.. maybe you might possibly consider um.. ". To really know a forum you have to stick around longer than just a few weeks.

In closing I just want to say... people are not obligated to be nice to you. That's just the sad truth. Same thing applies to the internet. I would hope that everyone on this forum showed respect for each other.. but that doesn't mean we all have to agree.
+1 to this

You can't expect everything (or everyone) to be gumdrops and rainbows. Rude people and idiots do exist, and the best thing you can do about it is to not be naive to their existence.

I almost always come across harsh because I'm more logical and factual when it comes to stuff like this. As 1f2f said, I don't beat around the bush when people ask for my opinion. I obviously don't mean to be rude...

(I can be rude if I want to, but that's not logic is it?)

I agree withe everybody who said this is the nicest forum. I'm a semi-frequent forum goer and this is hands down the nicest place.

I know it's not really a forum but have you seen the stuff that goes down on Youtube? People who have differing opinions on music/movies are flamed until the cows come home, people cursing at others who have opinions...it's sad, really.

Anyway, the tl;dr version of this is:
We truly love having everybody on this website here, we're all sorry that we come off harsh sometimes, but that's because we're passionate about giving these fish (and all fish) warm, loving homes to spend their lives in love and luxury.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #47 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
+1 to this

You can't expect everything (or everyone) to be gumdrops and rainbows. Rude people and idiots do exist, and the best thing you can do about it is to not be naive to their existence.

I almost always come across harsh because I'm more logical and factual when it comes to stuff like this. As 1f2f said, I don't beat around the bush when people ask for my opinion. I obviously don't mean to be rude...

(I can be rude if I want to, but that's not logic is it?)

I agree withe everybody who said this is the nicest forum. I'm a semi-frequent forum goer and this is hands down the nicest place.

I know it's not really a forum but have you seen the stuff that goes down on Youtube? People who have differing opinions on music/movies are flamed until the cows come home, people cursing at others who have opinions...it's sad, really.

Anyway, the tl;dr version of this is:
We truly love having everybody on this website here, we're all sorry that we come off harsh sometimes, but that's because we're passionate about giving these fish (and all fish) warm, loving homes to spend their lives in love and luxury.
Words.
These words!
I like them.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #48 
FireKidomaru

great rant! im glad you brought it up.. i have noticed it to..as long as your fish is happy and you are willing to love and support their exsistence then you can take care of your fish anyway you want..this forum is to build friendships with people who share a common love for fish, not to force the world of fishkeeping under "rules" of how to love them..go out and have fun with your fishies!
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #49 
RiverStoneBetta

When I look for advice, I use Ockham's Razor as a tool: The simplest answer than includes all the facts is the most correct one.

Which to me, means I'm looking for quick straight answers like, "Here's what you do. Let us know if it didn't work or if you screwed up. We'll still be here to help." I don't care for "You have a nice setup, and I love your fish, and I'm sure you didn't mean to, BUT..." and they end up trying to cover up my mistake with apologies which ends up cutting out facts that I desperately need.

So in the end, if you've been here for more than a month or so, you know the regulars around here. You know who to talk to. I'd much rather get my advice from 1fish2fish, dramaqueen, OFL, and Lupin than someone who's just here to look and talk about pretty fishies.

And let's be perfectly clear. There are several ways to take care of fish. Just about everyone here on the forum wants to see fish flourish and live full healthy lives. There are different points of view. One owner may say that a 2.5 gallon is a little too small for a betta, but most say it's fine. That's a difference in opinion, but one that does not ultimately harm the fish or degrade his life. However, when several sources say you may want to change your setup or habits, then it's best to take heed. Otherwise, do not act shocked when problem arise from your betta being lethargic because you think a heater is unnecessary.

I've digressed. My point? Don't expect to be pampered on the Internet. Expect an answer and take everything with a pinch of salt. Do research. And if 16 regular members say the same thing, it more than likely means it's going to work. When given good advice, please use it! Don't just shove it aside because you don't agree with it unless you have evidence to back up your point.

This forum is for betta enthusiasts to gather. But it is also a place to educate others in proper betta care so they can have a happy, healthy betta that will get them hooked on the hobby like the rest of us.

And haterade. That word made my day. XD
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #50 
LittleNibbles93

I've read everyone's comments. And, even though I wrote the rant, I like all of the comments and peoples opinions given in this thread.

I was really mad when I wrote the thing, I've cooled off now about the whole thing (wish I could psychically, its like a sauna in this house).
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote