Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #1 
hannah16

Exclamation Help!

Okay - So... I may have done something stupid... but I know my heart is in the right place...

I went to Petsmart to buy the 10 gallon starter kit I need for my baby fry.. I checked out the bettas (NEVER a good idea..) I fell inlove with an orange dalmation.. (I'm still drooling over him..).. But there was this sad..sick, DYING betta with fin rot and a swollen belly swimming side ways, not flareing and staying at the bottom of his cup.. I couldn't leave him and since I was with my sister.. (Not my mom who probably would of made me leave him) I baught him, a 1/2 gallon and some meds that'll treat the fin rot. But I don't know what is up with his belly.. I may return ths meds I got because I don't think there the right ones - I got Mardel Maracyn that treats Body Fungus, Fin/Tail Rot, Popeye, and Gill Disease.. I need your help! I'm gonna go to a diffrent petsmart and walmart tomarrow, so I need to know what I need NOW.

Please help me - he is dying and I just can't watch him slowly drift away, I snuck behind my moms back to save him, so PLEASE help me out, I'll take pics and put them up in 5-15 minutes..
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #2 
hannah16

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...s/100_3250.jpg
In this photo you can see his belly is a bit too round..

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...s/100_3249.jpg
Side view of his belly..

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...s/100_3248.jpg
His fin/tail rot..

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...s/100_3251.jpg
His belly is really round here, but you see the angle he is at? that is how he swims.. Help me save him.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #3 
monroe0704

I wish I could help you but I don't have experience w these issues. Off the top of my head I'd say he has swim bladders disease (common) and bloat. This is usually from overfeeding. So first try fasting him for a day or so and then feed smaller amounts. Whenever my fish looked ill I'd lower the water level (if they had trouble swimming up for air), increase the temp to 82 and dim the lights. They'd eventually bounce back on their own...
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #4 
hannah16

Okay, thank you.. What is the best way to treat his fin rot? I'll dim the lights and keep his tank warm and water level low as it is now and make sure not to feed him for the day..
Old 03-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

When you look at him from above, he doesn't look pineconey does he?

I would do an epsom salt treatment, it will help his fins and should also help with the bloating. You can get epsom salt at the pharmacy.

1 tsp epsom salt per gallon for two days, then up it to 2 tsp epsom salt per gallon for eight days, doing daily 100% water changes throughout the ten day treatment. Keep his water at 77-78 degrees F, the lower temperatures will help inhibit the growth of bacteria. If you have any India almond leaves/oak leaves/decaf green tea, the tannins they release can be very beneficial to a healing fish.

Good luck, and good for you for saving him! I hope he gets better soon!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #6 
hannah16

Thank You SO much for the tips! I'll have to borrow more money from my mom to get the last few things I need, but I don't care.. His life means something to me.. He isn't stunning or even unique like that orange dal.. but I care and love him.. I'm only going to name him after he gets better.. I don't want to get too attached in case.. Thanks again..
Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #7 
hannah16

During his 10 day treatment - do I feed him?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #8 
LolaQuigs

You might want to fast him for a couple days to reduce the bloating, but definitely not for the duration of the treatment. He'll need protein and nutrients to help him heal.

I know how you feel, my most recent fish was a rescue and I was sure he wouldn't make it through the first night, so I didn't name him for a few days. I still got attached though!

I'm sure once he's feeling better he'll color up and be lovely. :)
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #9 
Emmalea

Hannah, I think it was really sweet of you to rescue him.
Poor fellow isn't looking too great right now but I bet once he starts receiving the care he needs he will turn out beautiful.

For his treatment I would try aquarium salt at 1 tsp per gallon for ten days.
You will need to do 100% water changes each day.
After the ten days are up you should be able to see some fin regrowth.

For his possable Sbd I would fast him for a day or two and lower your water level so he doesn't need to work so hard to get to the top.

The tempture of his tank is really importent right now, he needs warm water so his body can be strong andfight off the finrot.
If you do not have a heater already this would be the fist thing I would buy.

I would hold off on using the Meds for a bit, see if the salt works first.

I think you should go ahead and name him, he deserves to be named even if he doesn't make it.
Good luck, I really hope he gets well soon.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #10 
hannah16

Thanks Everyone. I think I'm going to do the AQ salt first thing, I won't feed him for 2 days and see how he is.. I've decided to name him Fighter, because he's faught to live this long and I think if he has, he's more then willing to keep trying..

He is currently in a 1/2 gallon tank, but I set it up with only a very thin level of gravel on the bottom (since his tank is sitting on a heater, so it won't get too hot..) and I've only placed 1-2 inches of water in the bowl since he has troube swimming..

How do I do his treatment? It's a tsp per gallon, so I do a 1/2 a tsp for AQ salt, But if he needs a lower water level, then what? Do I fill the whole things and let him sit in the 1/2g for 10-15 then lower it to where it was again?

Thanks to everyone for responding & for everyone who will.. Fighter is my little angel right now, dying or not, he deserves a fighting chance..

I'm so mad at myself because he was $3.99 at PetSmart and the lady only gave me 15% off, I wanted to argue that he should be at least 50% off, but I felt it was more important that he gets home, warm, and in a better envirment.. he was in those small little cups that aren't roung, but are tall, with blue water, and he struggled to get air.. It was breaking my heart (Like I stated, I almost got that orange dal..) but I couldn't leave him.. No one is gonna buy a sick fish just to save him.. Its betta lovers like us that'll do the good deed..