Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #1 
misamiania

Hood or Not to Hood

So I'll be hopefully getting my ten gallon tank tomorrow. (I love my bestiest friend :3 she works at a pet store and gets discounts!)

My question is. Would it be better to pitch in to buy the hood or just buy a lamp to go on the edge? I kind of prefer the open look to that of a hood.

The tank will be planted and my room gets the most lighting in the house. Inside the tank will be java moss, hairgrass, and possibly some anubis haven't decided yet.... haha once you go planted you never want to go back that's for sure.

I have java moss (just bought it like... Wednesday) and hairgrass (woho! It's growing!) in my 5 gal. Hairgrass is doing good with just the natural light and occasionally I'll turn on the light it has in the hood. But I really wish I could ditch the hood. It would look awful though cause the filter is so big on the back of it.

I'd mostly like to just hear the pros and cons of hoods I guess lol. Thanks in advance!
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #2 
JackisLost

Con:
most hood light combos are too weak to grow anything, especially hairgrass.
Pro:
They keep that fish smell in the tank better
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #3 
SmokeNLark

There are lights you can buy that are better for plants that will go in the hood. personally, I like hoods. They hide the filter and prevent some evaporation while helping to keep heat in. If you like open-topped better, hold off on the hood. Just make sure the water level is at least 2 inches from the top so your betta doesn't jump out. If you find you want a hood later, you can always go get one. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #4 
Malvolti

If you like the open top you could buy a piece of lexan and cut it to size.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I love these, I plan on getting one soon for my open top tank.

http://www.petco.com/product/107312/...20Cover-107312
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote