Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 02:19 AM   #1 
roypattonphoto

New To Bettas, Updating Tanks Already

i just got a 5 gal Marineland w/ Bio-Wheel (one of those hex tanks), and 4 Sisters the other day....after doing some reading the 5g is too small for the 2x CT and 2x VT, im going to be picking up a 10 or 14g tomorrow.... im wanting to theme it ... prob oriental style... and once i get it the tank setup and heated correctly im gonna move them over to the new tank

i was wondering if the 5g could be set up for a Male, and would he be happy with the Bio-Wheel, it doesnt pump out any crazy amount of current to my standards...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #2 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by roypattonphoto View Post
i just got a 5 gal Marineland w/ Bio-Wheel (one of those hex tanks), and 4 Sisters the other day....after doing some reading the 5g is too small for the 2x CT and 2x VT, im going to be picking up a 10 or 14g tomorrow.... im wanting to theme it ... prob oriental style... and once i get it the tank setup and heated correctly im gonna move them over to the new tank

i was wondering if the 5g could be set up for a Male, and would he be happy with the Bio-Wheel, it doesnt pump out any crazy amount of current to my standards...

erm a filtered tank needs a month cycling usually
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #3 
Slayers

I have a male in my 5gal hex I had to put a sponge on the outlet of the filter to slow down the current and it still can be a lot when he swims under the outlet it will push him down (even thou he likes it and will do it over and over again)
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #4 
SmokeNLark

Sounds good to me! You can do a fish-in cycle. And see how the male reacts to the current. Some bettas like it. If not, there are multiple ways of baffling so it's not so strong.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

I have that tank, too, and its a youknowwhat to baffle, ha. If its still too much, shove some sponge in the intake, too. I did mine a weird way, but it works.

As long as it isnt enough to bust his fins and he has space to get away from it, he'll be fine.

Maybe put a plant near it if he wants to rest under it :3 Mine like that.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #6 
Cravenne

Sounds good to me too....fish in cycle and he'll have 5G of room to enjoy.

I was looking at those thanks...I like them. Love to see some pics once you get your boy!

Oh...and the girls tank as well..lol
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #7 
roypattonphoto

the reason i was looking and like Marineland's is theyre identical to the eclipse systems i used to look at and like... the guy i was talking to said theyre also easy to set up and convert to salt water and are very easy to maintain saltware...

tonight i picked up an Aqua Tech 14gal starter kit from walmart, and got it set up... gonna through in the bettasafe fizzy tab's and let it set for an hour or maybe for the night and then do the switch .... the 4 sisters will be transferd into it next day or so and may get a few tank mates (any suggestions on tank mates?)

while i was out this afternoon at my LPS, also today got a Marineland Stealth Pro 50 Submersive heater for the 5gal (set to 78* and the 14g has an AquaTech that is auto set 78* which will be changed to one of the MarineLand's Steal Pro's as soon as my LPS Petco has them in).

when i get my Male im looking at prob a HalfMoon ... that seems to be the one im gravitaiting to the most...
Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #8 
roypattonphoto

just thought i would add, i guess when i start something, i sort jump in head first without a helmet and hope theres no concret bottom lol... just started already got 4 females and planing on a new one lol...
Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #9 
roypattonphoto

just finished the setup and got my girls moved over... was rather easy, stuck the cup in the 5gal and they basically went right into the cup with no issues...

here is the 14g setup.. and with the girls settling down... one of them went running to the skull on the left and hasnt come out yet... she is claiming that as her place i guess... plants are fake, im not brave enough to try my luck on live plants...

any hooters ... heres a pic...

Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #10 
PewPewPew

Looks great. I like it, though might suggest a little more cover if you can manage. For the time being, look into terracotta pots or clean mugs.

And hey, live is only as scary as you make it :D I like annubias and anacharis quite a lot. The gang does, too. Its hard to kill them, to be honest :P
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote