Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #1 
laughing

Is there something to COOL the water??

I know most of you recommend heaters, but where I live, it's SO hot. I checked at about 11am this morning and my water was 82*... It's MARCH people! Last summer it easily got to 112* and guess who is too poor to afford high air conditioning?? THIS GIRL!

So here is my question, is there something to make the water COOLER? In the summer the water could easily get 90*+, and that's just too hot.

Thanks guys!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 AM   #2 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I know most of you recommend heaters, but where I live, it's SO hot. I checked at about 11am this morning and my water was 82*... It's MARCH people! Last summer it easily got to 112* and guess who is too poor to afford high air conditioning?? THIS GIRL!

So here is my question, is there something to make the water COOLER? In the summer the water could easily get 90*+, and that's just too hot.

Thanks guys!

I bag ice into ziplock bags and float it in the tank, it works, and when its melted i stick it straight in the freezer and do it all over again
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:48 AM   #3 
JackisLost

There are aquarium chillers... But the price will make you pee your pants before you buy one

+1 for the ice bag method, I did that too in summer. Make sure your heater is still plugged in
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #4 
laughing

I really like the ice bag idea! Tank coolers are really THAT much??

I just don't want my fishies to bake in 92* water. LOL
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I use the ice in the bag method when I am doing water changes and notice I didn't get the water the right temp. I will plop one in there until the temp goes down to where it supposed to be.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #6 
shadowsbiker

Yes, aquarium chillers are that expensive. It would be way more economical to buy a small window air conditioner so you could be more comfortable as well.

+1 to ice bag method.
shadowsbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #7 
coolcucumber

I would put a fan on the tank. If you use the ice bag method on a small tank, it could easily get too cold.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #8 
Cravenne

Add some water conditioner to the ice bags, or bottles if you go that route. Should you have a spill, at least it's treated water going into the tank.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackisLost View Post
There are aquarium chillers... But the price will make you pee your pants before you buy one

+1 for the ice bag method, I did that too in summer. Make sure your heater is still plugged in
lol, lol!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #10 
Thunderloon

Evaporation can do the trick if you've got the right equipment.

Things called "swamp coolers" use forced air and fiber mats to produce a cooling of the air, it increases humidity tho.

Since we don't want to use the tank water as an air filter it gets a little complicated but not badly so.

If you get a small tank, say a 2 gallon something or other and some vinyl hose you can produce a closed-loop swamp cooler.

$10.00 walmart power filter
$15.00 tank (2, 5, 10, whatever, bigger the tank the more the cooling)
six feet half inch tubing (like $7.00)
$10.00 or so of cheap scrubbing pads (like scotch pads)
Bunch of old wire coathangers ($1 at thrift place, betcha)
Cheap fan, with a diaphram almost any one will do.
Stiff plastic sheet to be cut, bigger than cross-section of tank.

You will have to also get something to divide the tank you're using as a "evaporation cooling tower"

The tank will be divided with the intake of the filter on one side of the divider and the output on the other, setting up a high and low side so that we can make a siphon run continuously through the tubing and lay the loop of the tubing into the main tank. There will be lots of spare flow that doesn't all run through the tubing which will fall over the divider so don't put it to the top of the cooling tank. You'll end up cutting the all but one (or two) of the scrubbie pads to produce three even LONG lengths of scrubbie. These long lengths will be hung T'd up against the divider with an additional pad flat on the divider on the lower side so they're in the water-fall. Use the coat hanger wire to clothes-line them against the falling water with a gap in the middle for the air to blow through.
This will produce an E like pattern with the water high-side on the left and low side on the right. The water will saturate the scrubby against the wall and flow out into the scrubbies T'd into it. The fan air-flow will be deflected down into the low-side by a section of stiff plastic which sticks about half-way into the low side but not to the water level.

The circulation of the cooling water can be done either by the siphon created by the differences in height between high and low OR you can use a submersible pump arrangement in the tank (if its big) and run a large coil of quarter inch vinyl tubing in loops inside the high side of the swamp.

Siphons are free and can even be accelerated some by making the cheap filter in the cooling tank pull on it, the pumps are not cheap but still the whole thing, depending on skill and materials you already have, is probably indecently cheap.

You could use a 5gal bucket for the "cooling tower" and get one hell of a drop from high to low, its just a question of how high the pump will pull the water up.

Or you could also run ice bags. Which is probably a lot cheaper to set up but I know opening the fridge isn't cheap.

Swamp coolers are fairly effective, some reach as high as a fifteen degree cooling factor.

If you DO run ice, do it with salt water ice, much more efficient and you'll open the fridge less.

I'll draw up a few technicals in a couple days, its an interesting project at the least and I think it can be done effectively in just a 2gallon with the cheap filter on the end.

BTW if its not very humid where you are... look into a swamp cooler. VERRRY cheap to run, just gotta be careful with the water.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote