Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #1 
ThirdPotato

Bouyant Fish!

Hi, my male betta, Giles, has been pretty "floaty" for the past few days. He doesn't seem to be suffering, but I notice that he stays around the top of the water very often, and looks like he's having a liiiiiiiittle bit of trouble swimming downwards. His last water change was Sunday night because I noticed he was bouyant-er than usual. After I changed the water, he took some getting used to it, and I fed him a boiled pea in case it was his usual constipation. He seemed fine for a while, but today he's floaty again. He doesn't seem listless or anything, he still eats well, and can swim around the tank, but he now sticks near the top when before he never used to, and seems to have difficulty being at the bottom.

2 gallon tank
4 live plants
no filter
Water temp: 74-76
Last water change: Sunday night 3/12/11
ThirdPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #2 
Luimeril

that happens to my Veiltail, Cup, if i feed him certain pellets. the way i get rid of it, is just to fast him for a day or two. don't feed him a thing for a few days, let him get the gas that may be in his belly out, see if that helps. :3

also, does he have any plants he can wedge under the leaves of, so he doesn't float at the tippy top all the time? i found, Cup likes for there to be broad-leaved plants in there when he's floaty.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #3 
turtle10

Also the water temp seems a bit cold. It should never be less than 76.

And make sure that you do water changes about three times weekly, like two 50% and one 100%.

Last edited by turtle10; 03-15-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added more info
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #4 
ThirdPotato

Is cold water causing him to be more bouyant?
I've heard from others here on this forum, that when I was changing him once weekly that it was too much D8
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

How much and how often are the water changes, type of additives used.....what kind/species of live plants, does he look bloated, is he floating on his side or just having buoyancy issue with getting to the bottom and popping back to the top, how long have you had him? any other tank mates....

In a 2gal unfiltered with live plants that are actively growing...water changes of 50% twice weekly should maintain water quality (this also depends on what type of plants and growth state) again, depending on species of plants I would not do 100% water changes.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #6 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdPotato View Post
Is cold water causing him to be more bouyant?
I've heard from others here on this forum, that when I was changing him once weekly that it was too much D8
I don't think it is causing bouyancy, but bettas are tropical fish and need warm water.

That is odd that someone would say once weekly is too much, because they are wrong. A weekly water change should be performed regardless of tank size.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #7 
ThirdPotato

Thanks, though my fish is fine at 74-76 degrees. He's never had any discomfort or problems. The issue's more bout his buoyancy.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #8 
ThirdPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How much and how often are the water changes, type of additives used.....what kind/species of live plants, does he look bloated, is he floating on his side or just having buoyancy issue with getting to the bottom and popping back to the top, how long have you had him? any other tank mates....

In a 2gal unfiltered with live plants that are actively growing...water changes of 50% twice weekly should maintain water quality (this also depends on what type of plants and growth state) again, depending on species of plants I would not do 100% water changes.
Not sure on the species of plants, as it was a long time ago since I've gotten them. 100% weekly changes, no tank mates, had him for a little over a year.

He's not floating on his side, and he can get to the bottom of his tank but it looks like he can't stay there, like he slowly starts bobbing back towards the top, so he hangs around the top of the water all day. He's always had bloating issues on and off, which I fix with a boiled pea. He's floaty when he's bloated and when he's fine as well. When he's at rest, he slowly floats up to the top, but he doesn't seem unhealthy by other means. He eats well, his fins aren't clamped, he's active, and always greets me, his color's still vibrant.

I can start by doing 50% changes throughout the week if you think there's an issue with the water. OH, and I use Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus, with Deer Park Spring water, because my tap is contaminated and almost killed him once. He's always taken well to the Aqueon+DeerPark combo, except in the past week, he's floaty.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #9 
ThirdPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
that happens to my Veiltail, Cup, if i feed him certain pellets. the way i get rid of it, is just to fast him for a day or two. don't feed him a thing for a few days, let him get the gas that may be in his belly out, see if that helps. :3

also, does he have any plants he can wedge under the leaves of, so he doesn't float at the tippy top all the time? i found, Cup likes for there to be broad-leaved plants in there when he's floaty.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I was wondering if it could be due to his food, because I had some treats he used to like, that now he won't even eat, maybe because he knows its what caused him to be like this? I do have a lot of stringy plants he can wedge under, and a little bridge that he usually likes to hide under but hasn't been lately. I always feel bad for fasting him longer than one day D8 but I can give it a shot. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Try changing the brand of food if it is causing bloat issues.....

Buoyancy issues are usually related to swimbladder problems that can be cause by poor water quality, too low water temp, overfeeding, poor quality foods, too cold/cool dry air above the water that causes labyrinth organ problems to name a few common reasons...other reasons can be genetic related......

I would start by making some 50% daily water changes for a couple of days, increase the water temp to at least 76-77F, cover the top with something to get the air above the water warm and humid, hold food for 2 days and see if this will help....if not, he may need a 10 day Epsom salt treatment in QT...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floating, floating at the top, floating but not dead