Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #1 
hannah16

Angry I'm SO ticked off!!

I went to PetSmart to get my 10g starter kit right? I check out the fish section, birds, ect.. I go to the bettas, most are pretty healthy, a few need a water change, (I even saw an Orange dal that I wish I had space for v.v..) But there was one fish, he is really sick, bloated/swollen belly, swimming side ways, fin rot! I'm so upset, this shouldn't have happen! There is no reason for it.. They say they watch there fish.. So then why is he sick?! There isn't a good excuse for it, and it really makes me mad.. So, I baught him (I hate that I had to pay for him at all, but I was NOT gonna leave him there to die a horrible death..) and only got 15% off.. Oh and get this <_<... The stupid little sales clerk was trying not to laugh as she said "So.. *Struggling to hold back* you really must think you can save him.." I was so upset, I'm calling PetSmart HQ first thing monday. This is NOT acceptable, there is no reason for this. They only had about 20-25 bettas (That isn't a lot considering my Petco has about 60...) that looked healthy, is it because he isn't drop dead beautiful that he gets ignored? If so - that makes me more mad!!

I'm also upset with my Sister - she says that I'm treating a fish as good as a dog.. Well why the heck not? He is still a living breatheing animal, if my dog was sick, I'd do whatever I could to help her get better, same for Fighter.. He will get better, and I'm going to make sure of it!

All Heck is gonna break loose when I talk to PS HQ, there gonna think a crazy chick is speaking to them.. I'm really upset about this, I'll be posting updates on Fighter, I'm posting pics now so you can see what I mean about his condition.

But I'd like to add that he is looking a bit better since I put him in a low water leveled 1/2 gallon that is nice and warm for him. He is still struggling for air, but if I put any less water, he's gonna need more water then air x.x...

Pics -

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...s/100_3248.jpg

See his fin & tail rot? There are holes!! And TEARS! In his tail...

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...s/100_3249.jpg

Swollen Belly for no reason at all & his front fins are all shrivled up...

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...s/100_3251.jpg

Uber swollen belly, and you see the angle he's at? That is how he SWIMS!! ALL THE TIME....

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...s/100_3250.jpg

Again.. That sad angle..and his fins..

Sorry for such a long read, but I'm really upset that this happen at all, Fighter was lucky that I found him there, he probably wouldn't have lived in that cold dirty cup through the night.. Even if he dies during or after treatment, I at least know he was in a better place with me then at that petstore.. If I ever see a dying fish there again, you better believe he's gonna be 1/2 off or free.. No way will I fully support them KILLING the bettas!
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #2 
hannah16

my little fighter didnt make it... he was just too sick by the time i got him.. hes gone, and this just proves what i mean about petsmart.. there still getting that call first thing monday..
Old 03-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #3 
BlueHaven

I'm sorry, you helped him though, he had a better place for a little while.
:)

People who laugh at others for trying to save an animal, doesn't matter if it's just a moth, need people like you around them. So you set a good example, even if they didn't pay attention.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #4 
monroe0704

At least you tried! I saw you asking on the illness part of the forum.. good for you! He at least had a good last day :)
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #5 
hannah16

Thanks everyone - Since Fighter didn't make it, I'm going back to that petsmart, returning the stupid meds (Thats $8 <_<!!) and I'm gonna save that beautiful orange Dal. He isn't sick, but he will be if he stays there too long. I have that 1/2 that I'll use.. I'm glad I at least tried to help him - makes the loss a bit easier..
Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #6 
kathstew

I really admire you for what you did.
Poor fighter. I am sorry he didn't make it. But I am glad he got to spend his last moments with you, I am sure he appreciates it.
You are a great person for what you did.
I am sorry your sister doesn't believe in what you're doing. Many people do believe in what you do, and we support you. Don't worry about what others think,You are YOU.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #7 
Abby

I was studying the bettas the other week in a pet store and handed over a multi camboian with olitterally NO FINS from tail biting and she put him under the counter i said are you going to treat him she said we have no medication
im like HUH, apparently someone REALLY needed melafix so some one sold the store bottle
i was like how hard is it to run over town to pick up a small bottle to treat the STORE fish.............apparently too hard
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #8 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
The stupid little sales clerk was trying not to laugh as she said "So.. *Struggling to hold back* you really must think you can save him.."
Well, if they had done their jobs properly, you wouldn't HAVE to...

Sorry to hear about hi, though. At least you tried! He knew a bit of happiness before he passed.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #9 
CrowntailxKing

Give them a piece of your mind! (and maybe a piece of your fist!) I am sorry to hear about what happened, but I believe I saw another post you had saying they agreed to let you save some of their other fish for free...or maybe that was some one elses post?
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #10 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
Give them a piece of your mind! (and maybe a piece of your fist!) I am sorry to hear about what happened, but I believe I saw another post you had saying they agreed to let you save some of their other fish for free...or maybe that was some one elses post?

Must of been someone else. But I did say that next time I see a sick fish, I'll fight for him to be free. Honestly- there is NO reason for what happen to Fighter. I'm really upset that he was in that condition. All the other fish were fairly healthy, besides needing a water change and some heating. Why was he the only sick betta? It looks like he wasn't a desirable color to people who saw him there, so he got shoved to the back and neglected. That isn't right.

I did go back to that PetSmart, I baught 4 healthy bettas (All though, my orange dal MIGHT have a touch of fin rot.). Only thing is this - if I ever go to the PetSmart and see a sick betta or heck, more then one sick betta, you better believe I'm gonna demand to speak to the manager, even the district manager and demand that whom ever cares for the fish HAS TO KNOW THE BASICS ABOUT THEM (They need heat, they need daily water changes, they need to each a half a pinch of food twice a day, things like that.)

So yeah - I don't like that I paid for my bettas, even if they were healthy, considering how they treat the Not so pretty bettas.

I went to the PetSmart closer to my house, ALL there bettas were VERY healthy. I'm PROUD (At the moment.) to say that is my PetSmart. I baught 3 females from that PetSmart, and I saw a pretty white/blue marble CT, but I didn't get him because we were gonna stop at Walmart for my Shimmery Male CT named Coco, along with I didn't like how his colors blurred together. But I did put him up front with a few darker bettas, I know he'll get baught soon enough.

Point is - The PetSmart that is 30mins away is gonna have the corp. inspecting them <3. They Ain't getting away with this.